Hack into Digital Televison

I read online somewhere (can't find it anymore arrgh!) that a Digital Television with a SDTV set (CRT) is basically the same TV that was analog but with the only difference being the ATSC tuner that makes it compatible with digital TV.

That place had someone (it was some forum) that had taken many older analog TVs, some as old as the late 1980s, and detached the older NTSC tuner and soldered in its place a new ATSC tuner and made it completely able to view DTV broadcasts.

When i see Wal-Mart branded SDTVs i see the same set that was a couple years ago analog, as in the same basic features, (no program guide or other niceties that our DTV converters have--remind you these are cheap TVs, some more expensive ones have those features and even USB firmware support) i don't see why it won't work. would save $100 on a new TV. or an outlet for a DTV box. plus i doubt ATSC tuners by themselves cost that much.

I believe it, but it probably depends on the old TV too. Some are built with different lines of resolution. A lot of the HD Ready (CRT Type) TVs sold with analog tuners are basically capable of High Definition up to 1080i and if you add a digital tuner, they're just as good as any LCD/Plasma TV. In fact, I've seen a lot of CRTs with a better picture over LCD and Plasma.

I read online somewhere (can't find it anymore arrgh!) that a Digital Television with a SDTV set (CRT) is basically the same TV that was analog but with the only difference being the ATSC tuner that makes it compatible with digital TV.

That place had someone (it was some forum) that had taken many older analog TVs, some as old as the late 1980s, and detached the older NTSC tuner and soldered in its place a new ATSC tuner and made it completely able to view DTV broadcasts.

When i see Wal-Mart branded SDTVs i see the same set that was a couple years ago analog, as in the same basic features, (no program guide or other niceties that our DTV converters have--remind you these are cheap TVs, some more expensive ones have those features and even USB firmware support) i don't see why it won't work. would save $100 on a new TV. or an outlet for a DTV box. plus i doubt ATSC tuners by themselves cost that much.
if you could find a source they would be around the same as a box in order to make it cheap you would need to buy thousands of them that is the draw back.

I believe it, but it probably depends on the old TV too. Some are built with different lines of resolution. A lot of the HD Ready (CRT Type) TVs sold with analog tuners are basically capable of High Definition up to 1080i and if you add a digital tuner, they're just as good as any LCD/Plasma TV. In fact, I've seen a lot of CRTs with a better picture over LCD and Plasma.
I agree with CRTs (Even SDTVs) having better picture over LCD or Plasma, and HD-reception (1080i/p/arrgh!) is not percievable by my eyesight. i do have 20/20 vision but i cannot tell the diff between HD reception and normal SD reception. now i can on most LCD/Plasma as viewing SD-reception on such a set is terrible. they cannot down-convert to a great picture if their lives depended on it. mom's Olevia HDTV is like that. grainy as hell in SD mode (480i)

Now i think the biggest reason SDTVs look good with digital reception is that they are in DVD quality and it's sharpter, but the biggest thing they have over LCD is that their black levels are superior. and unlike LCD/Plasma they're not susceptible to burn-in or broken backlights. at a normal viewing distance (from the couch) i could hardly tell that it's anything less than HD, as i haven't seen a CRT render cable or RF-air TV so well in my life. but i do know it's not true HD. but again, when talking about CRTs, i cannot percieve the difference. it's like telling the difference in a set of Bose headphones vs. Radioshack headphones.