Haier Atsc Handheld Tv sold at local Target store

Peplove

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have recently joined this forum and have found the information here most informative thank you guys for all your contributions.

I have just recently purchased this handheld tv from target
Haier 7" Portable Digital LCD TV - Black (HLT71)

It comes with a anttena that screws into the coaxil port and extends. It also has a small remote and Car lighter charger and wall charger. I work as a Security patrol supervisor and am driving around quite frequently. This unit does not allow me to view OTA channels while moving, upon researching this I have found this place on the internet and now Know the reason why it does not.

I still have found pleasant uses for this unit though! For one when I am at home at my computer and my wife is hogging the T.v I can easily watch another channel or plug my playstation 3 into it and play some madden, it's really cute at such a low resolution.

I went to walmart and purchased a better antenna RCA Basic Indoor Antenna (rabbit Ears) While I am out on the road patrolling I stick the rabbit ears on top of my car while parked of course and hit the autoscan on the tv. The good thing about having a set of rabbit ears is you can move around with the tv in your lap or set it in the seat and pick it up and move the unit around without dropping signals. If you use the attena that comes with the unit then you must stay very still or you will scramble the signal. Albeit even with rabbit ears sitting on top of the car your movements are limited to the length of the coaxil cable attached to the unit.

Hey I just didnt want to miss football games during the weekends while I am at work and this unit is serving that purpose. I noticed that if I park near the Airport which is near on part of my route I am able to pick up like 47 channels with the rabbit ears sitting on my roof, I use the stand leg that is on the unit to hook it to the side panel of the drivers side window Ala- Old school- Drive In Movie -Speaker attachment. The nostalgia is kinda neat haha.

Realistically Speaking though it is a major bummer I cannot move around while maintaining the signals. Here is another sad thing I have noticed. At one of the offices I set/check alarms for there is a break room with 3 different tv/vcr/dvd combo units and there is a coaxil cable line coming from the wall all 3 units are unable to gain anything from the cable.

Then In I come with my little portable Haier Tv and take that cable hook it to my little tv that has an ATSC tuner and BAM! 65 channels so I have found 2 locations where this tv can suit my needs for football, 1. Near the airport with rabbit ears on the roof of my car, and 2. The office with the Unhooked Coaxil cable.

When I drive around in the companies car I just put on the radio or watch things on my PsP I would love to be able to have the Tv going while moving and by the looks of it 2010 that will be possible.

I know it's a wall of text just so much information I read here I wanted to thank you guys for sharing and relate my current experience maybe someone can learn something from it.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
You are a perfect candidate for a mobile dtv handheld when they come out in 2010. Reference the links in this thread for starters: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/mobile-dtv/4581-official-atsc-m-h-reference-thread.html

Forgive me for explaining if you already know all of this,

Your Haier handheld has a "regular" ATSC tuner installed in it which is what all HD television sets are installed with now though they range in what they can output in resolution (480p, 780p, 1080i, and 1080p). The problem with ATSC tuners is that they cannot receive signals if you're traveling faster than 5 MPH. Maybe one of the eggheads here can tell you why, I just don't know the reason for it. ;)

With the mobile dtv format which is referred to as, ATSC M/H, that's currently being tested (see http://www.dtvusaforum.com/mobile-dtv/5833-mobile-dtv-omaha.html and http://www.dtvusaforum.com/mobile-dtv/4595-mobile-dtv-dc.html), a device can receive DTV signals while in transit. Some of the first devices coming on to the market will most likely be handheld units and USB units for computers. I also think we'll see them built into cell phones like Japan and parts of Asia have, though others have disagreed with me on here.

BTW, we've got a mobile DTV news report watch thread at: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/mobile-dtv/4362-mobile-dtv-news-net.html.

Anyway, welcome the forum!

Peplove

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hey Thanks!

I cant wait for the usb dongle with ATSC M/H as I use one now that is just ATSC that would suit me just fine.

Also I think the reasoning for not being able to recieve Signals while travelling has something to do with the Doppler Effect.

What's more is there is a Macintosh tuner that has the ability to recieve signals while in transit, problem is it's for UK and Australia

EyeTV Diversity Overview

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Hey Thanks!

I cant wait for the usb dongle with ATSC M/H as I use one now that is just ATSC that would suit me just fine.
Yep, there are a few of us on here who are going to be early adopters of it. :)

Also I think the reasoning for not being able to recieve Signals while travelling has something to do with the Doppler Effect.

What's more is there is a Macintosh tuner that has the ability to recieve signals while in transit, problem is it's for UK and Australia

EyeTV Diversity Overview
This feature,

Watch two different TV shows at the same time Picture-in-Picture (PiP)
is :thumb:

My concern about the USB ATSC-M/H tuners and ATSC-M/H in general is that it's too low of a resolution for screens bigger than 9" diagonal.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I think this is going to be what we are looking at soon! Pixtree usb Dongle here is a link to youtube video on it

YouTube - [NAB Show 2009] PIXTREE / ATSC Mobile DTV USB Dongle Receiver

some other informative things from National association of broadcasting

YouTube - [NAB Show 2009] Zenith Electronics / ATSC-M/H

YouTube - [NAB Show 2009] SENCORE / ATX2000 ATSC-M/H
First time I've seen any USB ATSC-M/H devices, thanks for the links. Pretty cool. In that third link, it shows a pretty old Acer running mobile dtv. ;0 Wonder what the computer hardware requirements are for ATSC-M/H vs. ATSC USB tuners.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
First time I've seen any USB ATSC-M/H devices, thanks for the links. Pretty cool. In that third link, it shows a pretty old Acer running mobile dtv. ;0 Wonder what the computer hardware requirements are for ATSC-M/H vs. ATSC USB tuners.
Don't know but my ATSC USB stick requires 1.8 GHZ. I can barely have internet explore open and watch a show in the background at the same time.