Harmony 700 Advanced Universal Remote

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Just curious if anyone has actually tried this out? It comes with a rechargeable battery and several programmable hot keys. The price tag is roughly $150, for that price it should be able to bring me my coffee and display a virtual news paper. Are there any better or more advanced remotes out there?

Harmony

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I have the 720. I don't know exactly how the two compare, but it seems that the 700 is just the 720 with a nicer shape and a few buttons missing. My wife did recently get me the 1100, but we sold it pretty quickly, because I didn't like the touch-screen -- it is impossible to "feel" the "buttons" in the dark.

Harmony remotes are like DVRs -- you don't realize how excellent it is to have one until you have one. It is activity based, so instead of (in my case) turning on the television, switching it to the DVR input, turning on the sound system, and switching it to the DVR input, I just click one button and the remote sequences those commands for me. It doesn't sound like much, but the first time you don't have to show a visiting family member how to do all those steps individually it really highlights just how valuable it is. I also like how the Harmony gives me access to direct remote control codes for my DVR that are not available on the DVR's own remote, like the 30 second skip.

If I was going to buy a new universal remote now, I'd stick with the 700 series. The "better" Harmony remotes are just not worth it, and in some cases not as easy to use.

40yearfan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have one that I purchased in early March. Once you go with one of these, you'll never want to be without one. It's a great pleasure to only have one remote sitting on the table and being able to control all your equipment with it. The programming was very easy and didn't take much time. The controls are user friendly and the remote is big enough that it doesn't get stuck behind the couch pillows.

I would recommend the Harmony 700 to anyone who is thinking of getting a universal remote.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Thank you that's some very helpful information. When you first see the price tag it looks extravagant, but it seems like it's worth the time saved from shuffling :)

bicker

DTVUSA Member
One of the neat things about Logitech, if I remember, is that they have little flash-based movies on their website, demonstrating how their remotes work. Have you watched one of them yet?