Has antenna design improved over the past 50 years?

i can't say, but those 1950s antennas seem to work a lot better (with the right cables, etc) with DTV reception than the 'DTV-ready' stuff made today. heck all i could manage with a DTV antenna was two channels. PBS and CBS

Piggie

Super Moderator
Antenna design has changed very little, simply because you can't mutate the laws of physics to make a smaller or cute antenna.

It takes x amount of metal in the air to receive x amount of signal. Antennas can be made smaller no doubt, but they loose range, period.

This is why if you had a brand new 1957 antenna in the box, it would work fine.

I wonder if all the plastic involved in more recent antennas makes their ability to get signal suffer. about 90% of UHF antennas have plastic obscuring the UHF element inside.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I wonder if all the plastic involved in more recent antennas makes their ability to get signal suffer. about 90% of UHF antennas have plastic obscuring the UHF element inside.
Quick way to tell. Put the plastic in a microwave (better if you have an old 900 MHz one for TV antenna tests). If the plastic gets hot, it absorbs RF.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Yeah, Im not high on the plastic covered loops that many of the RE&Loops are coming with these days....I imagine a small 24 gauge wire being hidden by the plastic. Probably just paranoid, but then again...just because your paranoid, doesnt mean they arent out to get ya!

Piggie

Super Moderator
The diameter of an element determines it's bandwidth. The thicker the element the broader the element's bandwidth.

Heck, why not just make the thing out of wood. Paint it to protect it and glue wires to the wood to make elements

Speaking of which I need to add that to your FM Thread.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Looking at your picture of antennas is funny, because all antennas included in it can I see if I take a walk around.

Seems that there is no great progress in antennas after 50 years.

Or do you think they still have the old ones at their roofs?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Very very little has change in antennas for the last 100 years in general. The yagi which is much of the basis of TV antennas was invented in 1926. The quad and the gray-hoverman in the 1950's. The dipole and the vertical go back to the dawn of wireless. After all the basic vertical is still properly called the Marconi 1/4 wave, after Marchese Guglielmo Marconi when he discovered his spark gap transmitter worked better vertically.

If you look at EV's antique antenna posts the TV antennas from the 1950's don't look much different than those of today.