Question: Has anyone had bug's and problems with DTV? Here are mine.

cobham

DTVUSA Rookie
When I started watching my DTV,I noticed that the volume on some channels was grossly different, from each other Also I have had,due to power surges I think had all
my set channels wiped-out. This means resetting again. Anyone else?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: cobham,

It would help us if we knew if you are using cable, satellite or OTA. What brand/model Television and if you are using a Digital to Analog Converter Box, what brand/model is the box?

I have an issue with 4 OTA subchannels from one station, where their audio is never at a consistant level thru an entire program and it is quite annoying to raise the volume level using my remote control and then have to turn around and lower it. Not the same issue as yours, but similar.

Jim

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The DTV transition brought to viewers a bunch of new channels, many of which cannot afford the sound volume balancing hardware that the ATSC standards call for.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I watch OTA TV in the Chicago market, & I have issues with certain channels.

WMAQ 5.1 - 5.3 (RF 29), the main channel is fine, but 5.2 has had so much bandwidth taken away (never much to begin with) for the radar that it sometimes freezes up. WMAQ made adjustments when they had the Winter Olympics and dedicated the bandwidth to the main channel. 5.3 is Universal Sports, & that channel has always looked grainy.

WLS-TV (7.1 - 7.3: RF 7 & 44) is fine on the main channel, but Livewell HD on 7.2 is pushing the bandwidth issue since it's also 720p HD, like WLS-TV on 7.1. 7.2 sometimes gets blurry if there are any fast motion in the picture. It would only last a few seconds, but noticeable enough to be annoying.

WTTW on 11.1 - 11.4 (RF 47), the main channel is usually fine, but subchannels 11.2 (WTTW Prime) & 11.3 (Create) have inconsistent volume. WTTW Prime on 11.2 usually has high volume during promos, while it lowers during shows & movies. Create on 11.3 also has inconsistent volume, but it drops for several seconds, then goes to normal, then it might go higher. Just a note for those who haven't watched WTTW Prime, WTTW took a pass on PBS World and went cheap by creating their locally programed 24 hour primetime channel. Any program that's normally aired in primetime (including their locally produced shows Chicago Tonight & Check Please) is on that channel. So it airs the same programs that PBS World carries, but also has some shows that aren't on PBS Worls, like Lidia's Italy, Mexico One Plate At A Time, This Old House Hour, Simply Ming, & Rick Steve's Europe to name some of the programs that's found on WTTW Prime. V-ME has normal volume, & I occasionally watch it if there's a show I like that's in English, but has Spanish subtitles.

WCIU has their PSIP set up unlike other stations. Since WCIU carries subchannels WWME-LD (MeTV) & WMEU-CA (MeToo) on their subchannels to reach the entire market where MeTV & MeToo don't with their low power signals, WCIU decided that besides 26.2 for MeTV & 26.3 for MeToo, they decided that they're also gonna have those same channels come up on PSIP as they would be if their low power digital channels were mapped to those channels instead of the WCIU signal mapping them. That means, MeTV is also mapped to 23.1 from the WCIU signal while low power digital channel WWME-LD (RF 39) maps to 23.2. MeToo is also mapped to 48.1. I believe if they do what they did with WWME-LD, whenever WMEU-LD signs onto digital, I believe they'll be mapped to 48.2 instead of 48.1. Because of this, I can't enter the RF channel of 27 to get WCIU. Instead, it goes to 23.1 and if I punch in 27.2 & so on, it get remapped to 23.2 & so on with an immediate message saying "No Signal". I don't know if the additional mapping causes WCIU to use additional bandwidth, but because they have MeTV & MeToo on their subchannels, This TV on 26.4, FBT (WCIU's original brokered ethnic program channel) has little bandwidth, & the picture looks grainy. Sometimes, people look like blobs. If the additiona mapping uses bandwidth, WCIU needs to take out 23.1 & 48.1 to dedicate some of that bandwidth to 26.6 FBT. WCIU on 26.1 is HD at 720p.

WYIN from Merrillville Indiana (licensed to Gary Indiana) is like WLS-TV at pushing the bandwidth, but worse. For now 56.1 & 56.2 (RF 17) simulcast and those channels are 720p each. They did run either PBS East or PBS West for a couple of days on 56.3 & 56.4 & that simulcast caused the picture to break up a lot. They for a while returned those channels to the simulcast. They have since added PBS Kids Go to 56.3, but 56.4 is still simulcasting 56.1. I don't know if bandwidth is an issue for aspect ratio, but 56.1 - 56.4 are all set to 16:9, even though 56.3 & 56.4 are 480i channels. I'm just waiting to get myself a new signal combiner so I can use my small Winegard antenna I bought to use for WYIN will help with reception. Since my main antenna (Philips deep fringe VHF/UHF combo antenna) is pointed toward Chicago & not Cedar Lake Indiana (where WYIN transmits from for money reasons, but their channel is eligible to locate in Chicago since their original application was approved, but cost prevented such a move), WYIN's signal drops out a lot. I hope that with a signal combiner & a Winegard antenna I haven't been able to use will help with that.

While WJYS (62.1 - 62.4: RF 36) hasn't had any noticeable signal problems since September 2009, my main problem with this station is that 62.1 & 62.4 air mostly infomercials (worse than Ion Television). Either one channel will air an infomercial & the other channel will air a sermon, or both channels will have infomercials. Once in a while, both channels will air sermons, but not simulcast both channels. 62.2 is WEDE-CA channel 34 (licensed to Arlington Heights). WEDE-CA started out as a FamilyNet affiliate and would only cut out the national feed when FamilyNet aired shows that WCIU held the Chicago to, and would substitute it with other religious programming. Since they're no longer a FamilyNet affiliate (in fact, FamilyNet no longer has any affiliates OTA), they program their station 24 hours a day with various religious programming, including sermons. While I don't like 62.2 or the main analog channel 34, it at least is programmed with something that people will watch (within their demopgraphics). There is no 62.3, not sure why WJYS skipped 62.3 and went to 62.4 instead. It's rather unusual that they'll air infomercials from scam artist Kevin Trudeau & the occasional Girls Gone Wild along side a religious sermon, or other religious show.

FOX TV

Contributor
Other Audio Issues contribute to the problem

many of which cannot afford the sound volume balancing hardware that the ATSC standards call for.
That statement is basically true, but there are many other reasons behind those volume level differences that actually create the need for that equipment to an extent. Programming for a TV station is ingested (Received) from many different sources and systems from plain old analog satellite feeds (Rare, but still used),to Digital satellite feeds to automated satellite receiver / computer server systems, along with many stand alone satellite receivers, and content from the internet, and in some cases, video tape still sees limited use.

With all of the possible volume level differences that exist from that many sources, it is easy to lose control of volume levels and lip sync timing. These are the biggest headaches for those who maintain these systems. The sound monitoring hardware is not perfect either due to the intake of content from so many variable sources, but it does help.

Engineers still use the analog levels as a guideline, and operators who move this content around in master control and actually still check levels can have a dramatic effect on the final output quality of broadcast content.

Last edited:

FOX TV

Contributor
UPS Battery power

When I started watching my DTV,I noticed that the volume on some channels was grossly different, from each other Also I have had,due to power surges I think had all
If your receiver keeps custom settings only while powered up, you could put a small UPS battery backup on it so it will remember your custom settings. Most Digital TV receivers "Remember" their settings, even when unplugged. Never heard of one with this problem before, but a UPS may solve it and give additional surge protection if your receptacle is wired correctly.

cobham

DTVUSA Rookie
T hank's too all you people who replied to my thread. it must seem like a very lame question to some of you. But you have to understand that we in Australia have only just got our free-view channels up and running. Yes and I am not as technically gifted as some of you. We have a saying in Australia guy's,"ladies and gentleman you are about to arrive at Sydney airport please put your watches back twenty years" Seriously.

web3221

DTVUSA Member
different stations broadcast at different sound levels, many new tvs allow u to set the tv to keep sound at certain sound levels, especially for night viewing so as not to disturb others - i forget what it is called - This feature goes by many different names, it also helps when commercials come on and they all record at higher levels to get your attention, it is so annoying, thank god for dvrs and commercial skipping.

get a surge protector for your tv and computers, if for nothing else, for safety reasons, power surges, and, lightening strikes, no need to fry anything if you do not have to, and they are cheap, some even will replace equipment if their product does not protect your devices, for a price , of course