Has anyone tried VU-75XR antenna for HDTV?

I was just wondering if anyone had tried the VU-75XR antenna for HDTV Richmond, VA
The VU-75XR is a fine antenna for strong signal areas. Yet in Richmond, the NBC station on VHF channel 12 is in a different direction than the other UHF stations. Solutions to the multiple direction dilemma could be trying to find a compromise direction, a rotor, or two antennas aimed in different directions, one for VHF/NBC and one for UHF/the others.

If it were me, I'd use two small antennas, like the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 and the Eagle Aspen DTV2B-UHF added together with a UVSJ.

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Its never been outside it has been in my attic for the past 9 years. I pick up all of the stations in the Ricmond Area(1VHF) the rest UHF with it pointed in a SE direction. Also on a good night or morning getting a few outof town stations 80 to 100 miles[ I was just wondering how it was working for other folks.QUOTE=MrPogi;68575]I don't have one, its a discontinued model. From whats online I would say it looks okay, but what kind of shape is it in? if its been outside for a while you may want to clean it up and refurbish it.

DATA for VU-75XR and others Comparing some commercially available antennas[/QUOTE]

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I would stay with that antenna if its working for you, unless you want to spend the money, you can do as Tower Guy suggests (2 antennas) or just point the VU-75 toward the VHF (if its working for you on VHF 12) and combine with another antenna to point to the UHF stations. Personally, I prefer to avoid the rotor, but I run 5 sets off my antenna and that would just p*ss off the wife and kids when I tuned the antenna and lost their channels.

If you have any problems with your reception, just move them out to the roof. That will fix it!

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am getting channel 12 VHF just fine as Well as all of the other stations in the Area. I was thinking about a rotor but so far it has been doing all right I am using 25 ft. of RS quadshield and a 10 DB inline signal amp that i got on Ebay. Unfortunatly i started experimenting near the end of the Summertime Band openings I know I would do better with the antenna outside on the chimney.
I would stay with that antenna if its working for you, unless you want to spend the money, you can do as Tower Guy suggests (2 antennas) or just point the VU-75 toward the VHF (if its working for you on VHF 12) and combine with another antenna to point to the UHF stations. Personally, I prefer to avoid the rotor, but I run 5 sets off my antenna and that would just p*ss off the wife and kids when I tuned the antenna and lost their channels.

If you have any problems with your reception, just move them out to the roof. That will fix it!

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I guess i have found that comprmised direction. Everynow amd then Channel 65(UHF) the furthest away will pixilate a little. Thanks for the suggestion. I just wishd I had started a little earlier in the year. I know on VHF and UHF Ham Radio the bandopenings have been terrific. Thanks alot
The VU-75XR is a fine antenna for strong signal areas. Yet in Richmond, the NBC station on VHF channel 12 is in a different direction than the other UHF stations. Solutions to the multiple direction dilemma could be trying to find a compromise direction, a rotor, or two antennas aimed in different directions, one for VHF/NBC and one for UHF/the others.

If it were me, I'd use two small antennas, like the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 and the Eagle Aspen DTV2B-UHF added together with a UVSJ.

n2rj

Staff member
There is a friend of mine locally who has one. He gets acceptable results from it on his roof 20ft in the air. He lives about 3 miles from me.

VHF wise it's not so good, so we used a YA1713 to pick up the NYC stations. He's primarily interested in WNET 13.

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Nice to meet an extra class. I am a general (kd4wkp) I am in a 1 story house and it really has not done to bad. I was getting Wavy TV10(31.1 every morning and evening there for a while out of Norfolk,, 33.1 & 33.2 , 15.1-15.3 out of Norfolk and some NC and Wash. DC stations but havenot gotten any out of town stuff for a few days now.
There is a friend of mine locally who has one. He gets acceptable results from it on his roof 20ft in the air. He lives about 3 miles from me.

VHF wise it's not so good, so we used a YA1713 to pick up the NYC stations. He's primarily interested in WNET 13.

n2rj

Staff member
Nice to meet an extra class. I am a general (kd4wkp) I am in a 1 story house and it really has not done to bad. I was getting Wavy TV10(31.1 every morning and evening there for a while out of Norfolk,, 33.1 & 33.2 , 15.1-15.3 out of Norfolk and some NC and Wash. DC stations but havenot gotten any out of town stuff for a few days now.
Well the "extra" thing is a play on words... yes I have an Extra license but I'm also an antenna nut. :)

You should go for your Extra. Hopefully we can meet up on air one day.

Man that is a lot of channels. I am not certain how the whole TV Fool thing works but hope to learn. I am a newbie
Basically it's NYC and philly markets, along with a few from NorthEastern PA and upstate NY.

Last edited:
Have a HBU33 at roughly 25' south of you. Richmond is strong just that 65.1 is in a different direction than the others. Tidewater area comes in good except for WSKY & TBN which I guess I'd need a dedicated VHF antenna to get. I had this HBU33 in the attic and finally decided to move it outside - it took a while but I finally realized it does perform better outside above the roof line. If I turn it between 000 - 025 late at night till early AM I see the DC Baltimore Delmarva area stations.

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah i am a little limited don't have a rotor but pointed in a SE direction this morning I had 3.1, 31.1,33.1,33.2,15.1-15.3 and sometimes i get the[UNC channels 1-5 got channel 40 5-10 one morning once in a while I will get 14.1-14.3 out of NOVA. I am not familiar with the HBU33. Nice to meet you. Radioman447QUOTE=fletch99;68638]Have a HBU33 at roughly 25' south of you. Richmond is strong just that 65.1 is in a different direction than the others. Tidewater area comes in good except for WSKY & TBN which I guess I'd need a dedicated VHF antenna to get. I had this HBU33 in the attic and finally decided to move it outside - it took a while but I finally realized it does perform better outside above the roof line. If I turn it between 000 - 025 late at night till early AM I see the DC Baltimore Delmarva area stations.[/QUOTE]

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I thought I had worked you. I worked n2BJ on 20 meters 3 times and twice on 6 meters. You know I have worked all of New England,NY,NJ,Penn,Del,MD, on 2 meter SSB and have yet to recieve a Eqsl from any of them. I went to TV Fool and Looked up my area and so far i have picked up about a couple stations 104miles away but a little more consistently about 70 to 80 miles away
Well the "extra" thing is a play on words... yes I have an Extra license but I'm also an antenna nut. :)

You should go for your Extra. Hopefully we can meet up on air one day.

Basically it's NYC and philly markets, along with a few from NorthEastern PA and upstate NY.

n2rj

Staff member
N2BJ is Brian out in Illinois. I am Ryan out of NJ.

I don't do eQSL, but I might start back. Reason is that I got way too many fakes and plus some people didn't want to send a real card which would be valid for dxcc, so I stopped doing eqsl.

But I think I might start back with contest season approaching...

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
You guys make me want to get my ticket back. As I mentioned here a while back, I let mine expire when my time somehow became dedicated to sportscars and women! LOL!

:thumb: 73, Jim

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah Jim I come up for my 2nd renewal in 2012 and I was just saying to myself today that I had better get with W5YI and renew. Good luck on that. By the way the VU-75XR seems to be doing better for HDTV than the M2 2 meter loop was doing but the loop really was not doing bad when i posted about its performance.
You guys make me want to get my ticket back. As I mentioned here a while back, I let mine expire when my time somehow became dedicated to sportscars and women! LOL!

:thumb: 73, Jim

Radioman447

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah I have the E-DX Award from Eqsl for 25 countries have a total of 35 confirmed. Need another 15 to get Edx for 50 countries. By the way I have already WAS and at least 50 countries but cannot get enough AG confirmed Eqsls for either award. Thats why I wish the 2meter ssb guys would Eqsl AG it would give me a lot of states. Tried LOTW for a while but it was just to darned hard to figure out 73, Radioman447
N2BJ is Brian out in Illinois. I am Ryan out of NJ.

I don't do eQSL, but I might start back. Reason is that I got way too many fakes and plus some people didn't want to send a real card which would be valid for dxcc, so I stopped doing eqsl.

But I think I might start back with contest season approaching...

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Radioman,

Congrats on the awards, although as far as I know they didn't exist when I was active. I usually worked 15 and 40 meters and never messed with VHF. In those days I had a direct line to Japan, especially on 15 at almost any time of the day. No room at the time for an efficient 80 meter antenna although I had a few contacts and 10 meters was totally dead back then. Atmospherics. Do you pound brass? That was my niche and a favorite thing to do.

Jim