Has anyone tried VUDU?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I keep a small collection of "digital copies" there. I got a bunch free when I joined VUDU and a few other services, and redeemed my digital copies of DVD/BRs there. I have yet to "buy" or "rent" anything there, though. I really believe that you don't "own" anything that resides purely in the cloud. For example, if VUDU goes out of business, what happens to my movies? Right. I don't own them, do I?

I think the rental prices are a bit high - I can rent from Redbox for $1.20 to $1.50, so why pay $5 to watch online? However, movies are available first @ VUDU before Redbox or even Netflix DVD-by-mail (see my post about that here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/blogs/mrpogi/1094-after-free-month-netflix-dvd-mail-verdict.html ), and it would cost me over $15 just for my wife and I to go to the theater - add the kids and it's a lot of $$. So I could see paying VUDU prices for a good movie that isn't on Redbox yet - especially if the weather was crappy.

Last edited:

tmcmeekin

DTVUSA Member
I keep a small collection of "digital copies" there. I got a bunch free when I joined VUDU and a few other services, and redeemed my digital copies of DVD/BRs there. I have yet to "buy" or "rent" anything there, though. I really believe that you don't "own" anything that resides purely in the cloud. For example, if VUDU goes out of business, what happens to my movies? Right. I don't own them, do I?
I encountered this problem with music. I bought a few MP3 downloads from Walmart years ago. They then shut down their service, and the DRM on the files prevented me from even transferring them from my old MP3 player to my new one, so I lost access to some things. (Luckily I did not invest that much money, and it was less than $20 worth of stuff that I lost, after I was able to recover most of it though means I won't get into.)

That's also partly why I still buy CDs (unless the downloads are on sale for significantly cheaper), I have never paid more than $5 for an ebook (95% of what's on my Nook and Kindle was free), and I don't "buy" many movie or TV downloads (and choose subscription services instead).

miramochalatte

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I store all my Ultraviolet digital copies on Vudu. It's cross-platform so you can use it on any device that streams VUDU content as long as you sign in with the proper credentials for the site.

DM28

DTVUSA Member
It looks very interesting and owning the content I pay for seems like a great upside to this service... Maybe I'll give it a try and reprt back with results.

It will be very difficult for me to leave Netflix and Prime though.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
It looks very interesting and owning the content I pay for seems like a great upside to this service... Maybe I'll give it a try and reprt back with results.

It will be very difficult for me to leave Netflix and Prime though.
VUDU and Netflix are very different platforms. VUDU is meant as a way to access digital content you own, and rent content on a PPV basis.