Has Survivor worn out it's welcome?

I have to start off this thread by stating that I have never been much of a Survivor fan, but after a decade of Survivor and reality show madness...I just have to wonder if anyone else is starting to get fed up with Survivor?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I've watched every season ... until now. I have to admit that for the first time, I'm not watching Heroes vs Villains. So many of them have already been on, not just once, but two times before. Enough already. Also, the game isn't fun anymore. There's too much backstabbing. I don't like that.

yeah about 11 years ago.
I have to say that I largely agree with you here, but sadly the show still has a pretty large following and it will probably be kept going indefinitely until and IF the ratings ever completely tank out. Survivor still has one of the neatest concepts for a reality program, but when you consider how little I like reality shows...

That's the thing, as much as some of us may be completely sick of Reality Shows like Survivor, there are plenty of other viewers out there that simply can't get enough of them. Reality Shows aren't going to just go away, especially when you realize that the current generation has grown up during a time when Reality TV dominated the airwaves, and it's the only way that many of them have known it to be.

Orrymain

Well, here's part of the puzzle too. We say we don't want it and yet people indulge. It's like the tabloids. If we didn't buy that crap, they'd go out of business, so while we complain about it, a lot of folks are buying it. Dancing with the Stars finally got rid of that yucky Kate and the ratings dropped. People say they are tired of the Gosselins and yet they can't stop watching.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
You can only rehash and redo that plot line so many times before it gets boring. I watched it for a few seasons when it first came out, but couldn't sustain my interest.

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
I haven't watched a whole season of it in years. A few times, I've started off watching, or at least recording with an intent to watch, and just lost interest. I'm also tired of the concept of backstabbing. I'd rather see a few rounds of it where there are teams that cooperate and the entire team wins. Shoot, actually I'd rather see them all tossed on a desert island and try to survive w/o the games.... sort of like Colony for prizes. (Speaking of which, is that coming back?)

Orrymain

I think that's a big part of it. With Richard Hatch, he was the first and it had a certain odd excitement, and frustration, to it. Now it's just who can be the crappiest to the most people (Russell). I don't need to watch TV about nasty people.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
I think if Survivor is to.....survive :D......They're going to have to adjust the rules so to speak or somehow reinvent the concept. I think the best thing would be just to put the show to rest and bringing it back in 5 to 10 years when people begin to miss it.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I just can't get into most scripted reality shows. I see them more as a spin off of a soap opera. I can't say I don't like them all as "Whale Wars" held my interest. But I see something different with it, even though it too was a serial series and the stay tuned for what happens next soap opera origins, but it was based on something real. Shows like Survivor have no basis in anything, totally contrived thus to me a not reality.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Yeah, I think reality shows need to go away for awhile and be remembered as a fun fad of the last decade. Maybe make a comeback in 10 years or so :)