Have Questions on a Outdoor Antenna

BillT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have realized that trying different types of Indoor Antennas is just hit and miss, in my case anyway, and I decided to go with the Outdoor. As mentioned in a previous post we have a lightening problem in the area. I already have an Antenna Direct C2 and I temporarily put it up on the front porch last week-end to test it. It works great.

Now I want to put it up correctly and make it as lightening proof as possible. What would you all recommend.

Some things I have learned so far:

-Use at least a RG6 Coaxial Cable.

-Use a Grounding Rod with Heavy Copper Wire.

-Use an Antenna Gas Discharge Unit. (Lightening Fuse)

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Last edited:
It have realized that trying different types of Indoor Antennas is just hit and miss, in my case anyway, and I decided to go with the Outdoor. As mentioned in a previous post we have a lightening problem in the area. I already have an Antenna Direct C2 and I temporarily put it up on the front porch last week-end to test it. It works great.

Now I want to put it up correctly and make it as lightening proof as possible. What would you all recommend.

Some things I have learned so far:

-Use at least a RG6 Coaxial Cable.

-Use a Grounding Rod with Heavy Copper Wire.

-Use an Antenna Gas Discharge Unit. (Lightening Fuse)

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Attach the ground wire to a ground block which has a connection on each side for the coax and a connection for the wire. attach the wire from the ground block to the ground rod ( make sure rod is at least 6ft long) drive it down into the ground attach wire with ground clamp. run another wire if you can to the ground rod for the house main power from this ground rod.:)

You can purchase a 10' ground rod for about $75 right now at your local hardware store. Attaching a copper wire from your antenna to a ground rod or a cold water pipe is probably your best bet.

Grounding
The most important lightning protection is a good low impedance Earth/ground connection to the associated equipment. The Earth ground connection should be a copper plated rod preferably at least 5-8 feet in length driven into the ground. This ground rod should be located as close to the equipment as possible, typically just outside of a building at the entry point of the antenna feedlines.

Greater protection can be provided by using additional ground rods spaced at least 8 feet from and connected to the original rod. Substituting plumbing, power ground return and other "so called" grounds for a ground rod is definitely not recommended.

Finally, there should be a large diameter (#4 AWG or larger) copper wire connecting the equipment to the Earth ground. The shorter the wire, the better. Additional information on grounding can be found in Reference 1.

BillT

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Attach the ground wire to a ground block which has a connection on each side for the coax and a connection for the wire. attach the wire from the ground block to the ground rod ( make sure rod is at least 6ft long) drive it down into the ground attach wire with ground clamp. run another wire if you can to the ground rod for the house main power from this ground rod.:)
Appreciate the info y'all.

Where should the Ground Block be located? Also wondering where can I buy a Ground Block? (The Electrical supply stores around here don't seem to have much for antennas).

I appreciate the info on the Rod Length as that was my next question.

Also, do you still recommend a Gas Discharge Unit? (I really like the idea of one as we have a pretty big lightning problem around here).

Thanks.

Bill