Have you ever donated to a PBS Fundraiser?

One of the most noteworthy things about PBS is that they are financially supported by viewers which helps keep them on the air, so it should come as no surprise that they frequently remind viewers to donate money to them. Have any of you ever contributed money to PBS, and have you also done so multiple times or only once?

I think that I ended up donating like ONCE to date, although I would probably do it again more times if the right opportunities present themselves. PBS is still a rather unique Television station, and one that I would love to support more in the future.

Yes. However I will never make that mistake again.
Why what happened to make you feel this way escape?

I think public broadcasting has hanged alot over the years, I wonder how long it can continue. I do like some of the local cable access shows that have popped up the last few years. Nice to see a fresh spin, low tech yes- but the points are solid. There is this one lady, i swear i have yet to figure out what she is going on about. We call her the crazy cat lady because there is always a shot of her cat.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
There is a similar thread here (somewhere) so I'm repeating myself. Last November I stumbled upon an interesting 'pledge-driven' show on one of my local PBS Stations, The Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas Spectacular. They were coming to Seattle to hold two shows and it seemed to be a good way to start the Christmas season. Although I could have called my local ticket outlet and purchased tickets at a lower price, I decided to buy thru PBS.

We had excellent seats, the show was well done and very entertaining and the first half of the show was much the same as televised, focused on Christmas. The second half of the show was new material for their upcoming Spring Tour and it had nothing to do with Christmas. Entertaining, yes. Did we feel ripped-off? Yes, as did others seated around us. Not a Christmas Spectacular at all.

So, next year if the PBS show repeats, we will enjoy it on TV and try to determine how old the show actually is.
Jim

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Keep in mind that if you pay federal taxes, you're "pledging" support for your local PBS affiliate whether you want to or not. Of the $400 million the federal government budgeted for grants supporting public television and radio for the last fiscal year (ended Sept. 30, 2009), direct grants to public-television stations totaled at least $215 million under a statutory requirement that limits CPB's overhead expenses. That figure is just for everyday operating expenses: Funding for special programs and one-time expenses, including Ready to Learn and purchases of additional digital broadcast equipment, are over and above the general grant figure.

All these goodies and more can be found in CPB's advance request for funding starting in FY 2012 (PDF, 3.7 MB). The document contains current funding figures as well. The corporation's rationale for a 29-percent funding increase (!) over what it will receive in FY 2011 tops the wish list, of course.

Last edited:
I have been a big fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra ever since I discovered them a number of years back, and always wanted to catch a live concerts of theirs, should they ever play in my area. Sounds like Jim In Seattle had a great time at his concert, and I can't help but be a bit jealous!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
AstralEclipse,
The show was awesome except it wasn't the PBS advertised show and that is my feedback regarding the topic here. If you get a chance to see them, I think you will find their mechanical setup alone is fascinating and it will be a high-energy show. Depending on the venue, there may be two stages: the main in front and a second, mid-crowd. Quite different!
Jim

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
AstralEclipse,
The show was awesome except it wasn't the PBS advertised show and that is my feedback regarding the topic here. If you get a chance to see them, I think you will find their mechanical setup alone is fascinating and it will be a high-energy show. Depending on the venue, there may be two stages: the main in front and a second, mid-crowd. Quite different!
Jim
I'm a big industrial music/80's techish music fan, that sounds right up my ally. ;) I've seen a few clips of Trans-Siberian Orchestra before, but I have a feeling it's one of those things you just have to experience to get the full effect.

Aaron: I like Industrial and Techno music too, although Trans-Siberian Orchestra is quite different from those, and is much closer to Orchestral and Neo-Classical Rock and Metal, than anything Electronic. But yeah, I really want to see them live already!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
I should mention a warning about the Trans-Siberian Orchestra show.

They ended their concert by filling the venue with smoke, something like Auchwitz. Dozens, perhaps hundreds in the crowd coughed their way out, including Julie and myself and the man sitting next to us needed physical help from others to 'escape'.

The smoke show was entirely unnecessary and there was no prior warning printed, posted or televised on the PBS pledge drive.
Jim

I don't know dude, a lot of concerts use smoke machines...although it is possible that Trans-Siberian Orchestra overdoes it a little bit more than some others. And yeah, it still doesn't make me want to see the concert any less!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Aaron: I like Industrial and Techno music too, although Trans-Siberian Orchestra is quite different from those, and is much closer to Orchestral and Neo-Classical Rock and Metal, than anything Electronic. But yeah, I really want to see them live already!
:coca_cola_can: Have you ever seen or heard of the Blue Man Group? They combine electronic music with a theatrical like performance. Quite entertaining but the music is completely original and awesome.

I actually have never seen the Blue Man Group before, but I would totally love to check them out. But like with Trans-Siberian Orchestra, they need to play my area...which I believe they have yet to do.