Have you heard of Bitcoins? It is virtual money.

James

DTVUSA Member
I poked around some dark corners online...which may not be wise especially these days. I noticed a lot of talk of bitcoins, buying and selling. Turns out it is a form of untraceable currency. Kinda weid but interesting in that something completely new was invented. Kinda like bartering but not really. Looks like Uncle Sam is getting involved. Here is an article that lays out part of the tale.

The coin prince: inside Bitcoin's first big money-laundering scandal | The Verge

Yeah, I think that at the end of the day we will see the concept of Bitcoins rebirthed in a more acceptable international-banking flavor. The current version of Bitcoins could still rule the day; however, I think we might have a few too many barriers for it to be successful in the long term!

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Those are interesting but from what I've heard, your computer needs to work for days and days to get just one bitcoin... And when you get it, your pc will probably die from having been overheated for a month. I generally love all opportunities to make money through the internet and I've grasped many, but I'm going to pass on bitcoins.

It is virtual money and you can make a lot, but trust me it is a long process and you needs hardcore technology to really turn a profit, try reselling on eBay it's easier!

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Btw I've heard there are more virtual currencies like that that are worth less but are also easier to get. I read an article on them a few days ago but can't recall the names. Anyone's heard anything? Maybe I'd consider learning more about something that won't melt my PC...

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
So you prompted me to do some research on this and...
Wow, that's crazy, I can't believe people just made a currency. It makes me wonder why no one has tried this before, or if they have and it's failed. I don't think it's going to last because governments will get on it, but it's a super-cool idea.

So you prompted me to do some research on this and...
Wow, that's crazy, I can't believe people just made a currency. It makes me wonder why no one has tried this before, or if they have and it's failed. I don't think it's going to last because governments will get on it, but it's a super-cool idea.
Yeah, it's been tried before. Different companies. People traded their services for a certain number of tradedollars, or whatever. Problem comes in when someone breaches contract, and you want to sue. You don't have the "full faith and credit" of the U.S. government to back up your quasi-currency.

Rick

Last edited: