HBO: Best premium channel for movies/shows?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I have always liked HBO the best out of all the others ( Showtime, Cinemax, etc.) but Starz is really giving HBO a run for their money. They are getting better movies and showing them earlier it seems. Anyone else agree?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I remember when Starz first started a few years back, they showed mostly older moves. HBO has always been the best for movies and shows, but it's just too expensive! I'd rather rent movies from Blockbuster online or Netflix. Much cheaper, and I get to choose what I want to watch!

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
HBO is definitely pricey. Luckily we got a promotion where we get both Cinemax and HBO for $7 a month for both for the entire year. After that I think it goes back to $15 per month for EACH. When that happens I will definitely ditch Cinemax, but it's gonna be hard to ditch HBO since they have "Entourage" and a few other shows that I really like.

jigyasa

DTVUSA Member
HBO has always been my favorite. I like their various themes and "marathons". Although Starz is a close second, somehow I still find HBO better. They have a better choice of movies, I reckon.

nick

DTVUSA Member
HBO always run the same movie!!! in standard days. But when it comes to fetivel season no one can beat HBO and i like it... other than the same old movies i like HBO a lot and its good premium channel.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
HBO always run the same movie!!! in standard days. But when it comes to fetivel season no one can beat HBO and i like it... other than the same old movies i like HBO a lot and its good premium channel.

Yeah, I can't stand HBO lately because they just keep running the same movies over and over. After Entourage's season finale, I have rarely turned to HBO.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
I have always liked HBO the best out of all the others ( Showtime, Cinemax, etc.) but Starz is really giving HBO a run for their money. They are getting better movies and showing them earlier it seems. Anyone else agree?

I think that ever since HBO began to really focus on "original programming," its priorities shifted from getting the best films possible first to trying to capture audiences with worthwhile (and expensive for HBO to commission) series such as The Sopranos, Big Love, and Entourage.

I also believe - and this is just my opinion - that the wide array of theatrical movies available on DVD and Blu-ray (as well as online providers such as Hulu.com and other sites) eats away at HBO's audience.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I think that ever since HBO began to really focus on "original programming," its priorities shifted from getting the best films possible first to trying to capture audiences with worthwhile (and expensive for HBO to commission) series such as The Sopranos, Big Love, and Entourage.

I also believe - and this is just my opinion - that the wide array of theatrical movies available on DVD and Blu-ray (as well as online providers such as Hulu.com and other sites) eats away at HBO's audience.

This reminds me of back when HBO was great. I was just a little kiddo then, but just hearing that opening music before the movie started used to make me think I was in a theater :p:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NKoMNy5bY[/YOUTUBE]

A channel that would show good movies earlier would be a big threat to HBO despite the backup of Cinemax, I guess Starz played their cards just right and aired the good old movies and made it to the top.

susie

DTVUSA Jr. Member
like wise here..its HBO's the best i think..its what i always watch..i mean their movies!

karyl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
that is what i had observed also..good for hbo then..:becky:

milesanta

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I do! HBO is the only channel that I always watch. Honest.

d3stiny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
count me in too, i love watching movies so it didn't matter if i buy dvd's or watch it in television as long as i can watch a movie for a day. it's my fav pastime!