HBO Talks About Going Standalone

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Meh. I'll stick with Netflix. I agree that having to pay for some crappy package of channels just to get HBO sucks.

I do wonder how they plan to distribute it?

n2rj

Staff member
They could distribute it via internet using streaming devices (Apple TV, TiVo, XBOX 360, Blu-ray players) but what they were saying is that they could allow cable companies to offer it without other cable packages. Some people I know watch only HBO or premium movie channels. There was a time years ago (2001/2002) I was watching only HBO, cinemax and Starz. I pretty much had every premium channel there was. This was on Time Warner Cable and DirecTV. I killed it off in 2005 when we moved. I never resubscribed.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
There was a time years ago (2001/2002) I was watching only HBO, cinemax and Starz. I pretty much had every premium channel there was. This was on Time Warner Cable and DirecTV. I killed it off in 2005 when we moved. I never resubscribed.
Same here. I think on-demand pretty much did away with movie channels. I never liked 90% of the movies on those channels, and even if I did actually want to see what was on it was too late because the movie had already started or was halfway through.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
On demand and cheap DVD sales and rentals. Rent for $1 or buy for $5 or get netflix for less than $10. I really don't get "Entourage" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Maybe if I actually sat down and watched an episode or two I'd catch on.;)

n2rj

Staff member
I just did away with them because I had less time to watch tv. I had Netflix since 2001 to 2003 as well and gave that up, because my DVDs would get stolen from the mail and Netflix began to throttle me down. I only recently resubscribed when they introduced streaming.

I never really used cable ondemand since I don't have equipment for it. Maybe once or twice for a movie and bachelor party (wink wink) when I had the cablevision DVR.