HBO to start streaming content

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I don't think ESPN is going to go this route anytime soon, they have too many contracts and too much skin in the Pay-TV game. I expect the price of HBO streaming to be about $15 a month. At that price HBO offers nothing that I can't live without.

My question would be what devices will be supported? I suspect that Roku, AppleTV, and FireTV will be supported right out of the gate. For all those who have a streaming Blu-ray or "smart" TV, it may take some time - and some devices may never get it. I doubt that my low-end LG Blu-ray will ever get it, I've had it 3 years and there has never been a single channel added beyond the 4 that came with it.

Pirmadisk

DTVUSA Jr. Member
actually HBO already have HBO Go for streaming tv service, why HBO want to switch they root television service to standalone streaming service? if the reason is coverage. next year HBO have plan only for USA, I don't know when for other country.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
actually HBO already have HBO Go for streaming tv service, why HBO want to switch they root television service to standalone streaming service?

I can only speculate but lots of people are cutting or "shaving" the cable and that includes dropping premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. Maybe they figure that pay TV could go in the crapper so they want to get themselves positioned to ride the wave of the future which appears to be internet streaming. Netflix already has more subscribers than HBO so the writings on the wall and HBO has chosen to read it and jump on the bandwagon too.

James

DTVUSA Member
I read one comment that because HBO content is considered "excellent" compared to to other outlets...they may grab up some previously unsubscribed/non-subscribed viewers.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I hope all networks don't choose this price range. If you did the math, the standalone network services will be expensive - $6 each for abc, nbc, cbs, (PBS will probably always be free) plus $15 for HBO, that's $33 right there - and then add whatever else you want (minor networks, Netflix, etc) at $5-$15 each a month. For that price you can get a basic cable or satellite service! It all adds up quick.