HD Access - DirecTV

When my account was set up, I had only standard definition, not HD for my package, but this included locals which were HD. A month ago, I changed from the Family package to the Select package. This locals disappeared, and all the available packages said "no locals available" which was clearly nonsense because I'd had locals for nearly 1 1/2 years. It appears that when I changed the package from Family to Select that something kicked in that had been recently changed that stopped me from getting locals. Is this because my original package was set for SD, but nevertheless locals were included at that time? If I add HD now, paying the $10 fee, will the locals be available again? When the package was set up 1 1/2 years ago, it was understood that I didn't have an HD TV, so there was no need for the HD access. But now, locals are no longer available, presumably because I don't have HD access. Why was this change made? And am I correct that I'd have to pay the $10 HD access fee to get locals as an option even though that's different than the original setup?

This question, "HD Access," is about DirecTV channels, programming, equipment, and sports.