HD Channels Gone for Basic Cable Customers

U

Unregistered

Since Comcast has upgraded its cable service to a all digital network, it has removed all high definition channels from their basic cable customers' lineups. I'm surprised that this hasn't been talked about in this forum yet. Comcast has given me a DTA box for free but the picture quality of channels is horrible.

So I guess I'm going to have to pony up and buy a antenna and get broadcast channels through over-the-air.

I guess I'm just complaining. Is anyone else having to do the same? It seems silly to me to pay for cable service and still have to rely on over-the-air for HD TV.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Since Comcast has upgraded its cable service to a all digital network, it has removed all high definition channels from their basic cable customers' lineups. I'm surprised that this hasn't been talked about in this forum yet. Comcast has given me a DTA box for free but the picture quality of channels is horrible.

So I guess I'm going to have to pony up and buy a antenna and get broadcast channels through over-the-air.

I guess I'm just complaining. Is anyone else having to do the same? It seems silly to me to pay for cable service and still have to rely on over-the-air for HD TV.
Have you for sure tried watching using the QAM (digital cable) tuner in your HDTV? Yes, the picture from a DTA is going to stink, since it is "Comcast quality" SD. If it is actually true that Comcast isn't passing the HD channels along to basic subscribers it's like them taking a gun and blowing off half of their foot. Winegard, Mohu, Antennas Direct, etc. will love that.

phudson126

DTVUSA Jr. Member
That’s right, it seems weird to me as well. It’s just another way of making money. Now customers are forced to do what you have already decided to do. Unfair!!