HD Radio opinions

Piggie

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Murph. Well here is what I did recently. I wanted HD to play with it. I also needed a new FM tuner. There are a few models out there now that have some of the best analog FM receivers ever built. Plus as a bonus, they receive HD Radio.

So if you have about $100 to spend and want a better overall FM tuner, the new Sony line is pretty hard to beat for the money.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
HD Radio Opinions

Like the others have said, reception can be a problem. HD Radio is allowed to use 1% of the power of the main signal. For me, however, I am disappointed in one of my local stations because they had All Comedy Radio on 93.7-2, but they changed formats recently. That has prompted me to sell my Sangean HDR-1 and now I am goin to sell my Sony XDR-F1HD. It is a great receiver, but now that there is no longer content I am interested in I will be focusing on wifi internet radio at home and in the work vehicle, since I have an EVDO aircard in my laptop computer in the car. I will concentrate on Slacker Radio for my personal vehicles.

Does anybody want to buy a slightly used Sony XDR-F1HD for $60 shipped to a US address?

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Does anybody want to buy a slightly used Sony XDR-F1HD for $60 shipped to a US address?

Arrg, just bought one for $85 new on Amazon from Amazon. I always find the deal I want a week after I buy something. Mine is not even here yet.

Two bad I don't need two of them, but I don't.

However to the other folks out there, it's a great receiver even for analog according to the reviews. I guess I will find out if I like it soon.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I wish I had a use for another tuner. I really love the one I have as far as its analog reception.

- Trip

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I have a feeling that I will be disappointed in HD Radio, at least with a home receiver. Just as I am somewhat dissappointed in the lack of variety on DTV. I think that is a perfect comparison. DTV-ATSC also is providing HDTV which is worth it, but HD Radio isnt really HD and from what I understand can be anything from the sound quality of low bit rate MP3s to high quality MP3s....however the hiss and noise is supposed to be gone. If the sound quality isnt that much greater, then I know I will probably be disappointed in the variety....and thus dissappointed in HD Radio. We'll see.

I have a feeling the Jim is just one step ahead of me.

I just sold my excellent analog FM Proton 440 and will be getting a Sony F1HD, as finances allow.

As Jim points out, there is alos Satellite Radio and Internet Radio, now....for competition. Analog FM has the infrastructure that no one else can match...yet.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
I wish I had a use for another tuner. I really love the one I have as far as its analog reception.

- Trip
Remember talking or chatting when I said indoors I would not receive much? The Sony came in today and the strongest station on their antenna is half scale. I need to run a cable into the living room from the FM6

Murph

DTVUSA Rookie
Reception is poor and audio quality is miserable.

- Trip
Is there any plans on improving it? I thought quality was supposed to be comparible to mid level bitrate MP3?

Welcome to the forum Murph. Well here is what I did recently. I wanted HD to play with it. I also needed a new FM tuner. There are a few models out there now that have some of the best analog FM receivers ever built. Plus as a bonus, they receive HD Radio.

So if you have about $100 to spend and want a better overall FM tuner, the new Sony line is pretty hard to beat for the money.
I may just do that. I'm actually looking for a new TV tuner that has a built-in HD receiver as well as a FM tuner but I'm having trouble locating one here in South Carolina.

Like the others have said, reception can be a problem. HD Radio is allowed to use 1% of the power of the main signal. For me, however, I am disappointed in one of my local stations because they had All Comedy Radio on 93.7-2, but they changed formats recently. That has prompted me to sell my Sangean HDR-1 and now I am goin to sell my Sony XDR-F1HD. It is a great receiver, but now that there is no longer content I am interested in I will be focusing on wifi internet radio at home and in the work vehicle, since I have an EVDO aircard in my laptop computer in the car. I will concentrate on Slacker Radio for my personal vehicles.

Thanks for the helpful information. I'm looking at getting a TV tuner / HD receiver so not really looking to buy a receiver by itself.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Is there any plans on improving it? I thought quality was supposed to be comparible to mid level bitrate MP3?
I don't consider a mid bitrate MP3 to be an improvement on FM. MP3s, unless they're pretty close to maxed out, sound really bad to me. Without additional subchannels, an FM IBOC signal can sound about the same as FM. With additional subchannels, it's worse than FM to my ear.

As for the signal, they're asking for 10 dB more power, but NPR and a number of others are saying it will cause interference problems (which is true) so who knows at this point.

- Trip

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
What Ive heard, that makes sense to me, is that people in larger markets and close in will most probably like HD Radio and find it worthwhile. People in smaller markets and rural folks, not so much. At least at this point.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
The Sony came in today and the strongest station on their antenna is half scale. I need to run a cable into the living room from the FM6
There's some mighty fine advice lurking in this post: If you're serious about HD radio, you're probably best off getting an antenna designed specifically for FM broadcasts, dedicating it to the radio receiver and mounting it above the roof.

The FM6 Piggie mentions is by AntennaCraft, and it's well liked for offering good value -- terrific performance at a low price. Winegard also makes a couple of very good, directional FM antennas. For the true enthusiast, there are two antennas made by a small Connecticut company, Antenna Performance Specialties, that are peerless if their specs are at all accurate -- they claim 10 dB gain for their top-of-the-line model! Their production runs are small, so the antennas are quite pricey.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I hadn't seen this post before and I have a question about HDFM Radio. Way back in the 70's I built a Knight-Kit "SCA FM" sub-carrier adapter I used to listen to secondary 'sub' channels from several FM stations. Does anyone know if the 'new' HDFM has replaced SC or if it is still there to receive? The reason I ask, is a year ago I bought a commercially-built (1970?) FM-SC adapter at a flea market, but I haven't tried it yet. Thanks in advance,
Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
You may want to get a copy of the FM Atlas and Station Directory to determine what stations are using SCA.

FM Atlas and Station Directory By Bruce F. Elving
---------------------------------------------------------
Jim,

Is the 'old' FM subcarrier 'system' (SCA) even still in use? In the 70s it was limited to about 2.5-3.0 kHz audio spectrum and it always sounded like mud compared to any AM radio station with its 5 kHz audio bandwidth. I'll check your link and thank you.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Jim,
I had been under the impression the NAVTEQ service was either utilizing the two retired Civil Defense channels or unused channels at the very bottom of the AM radio band. Also, I didn't know 'Talking Book' was available via FMSC. I'm interested because I won't try my 1970s SCA Converter until I replace (at least) the filter capacitors and if the service is obsolete ... why bother? Thanks+ :usa2:
Jim