HD Stacker vs Winegard HD7698P

bbaker73

DTVUSA Member
Hi guys. You helped me before at my location and I ended up with a 50ft high mounted solid signal HDB91X that works pretty darn well!

I'm working on a buddy's setup. I cannot mount his that high, only about 20-25ft. Trying to get some UHF and VHF signals in the 60-70 mile 2Edge range. TV Fool

Also, if I find a good antenna for him that picks ups well in the 60-70 mile range, and is better than my HDB91X, I may switch mine out to.

I was pointed to the Winegard HD7698P by Solid Signal support for him. He has stations in a few directions, so I'll have to use a rotator as well.

But I came across Denny's HD Stacker. Shorter length is a PLUS for these installations. If it's able to provide similar results with a shorter length, would be very nice. Stacker seems to be talked about with mixed input.

What do you guys think, or do you have another suggestion?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
bbaker, welcome back!

Neither of the antenna setups you suggested are apt to capture real channels 3 and 4 because they are low-band VHF channels. It will most likely require a dedicated low-band antenna like this one: Winegard YA-6260 6 element VHF low band TV antenna channels 2-6 ... assuming you can find one to buy. Be aware, antennas intended for channels 2-6 are very large so read the specifications before you buy one. Because of their size they are subject to far greater 'wind-loading' so your antenna mount must be very rigid and at 25 feet in the air, guy wires will probably be necessary.

The HD7080P you are using is not appropriate for VHF-low band or VHF high-band.

The Denny Stacker setup might work for VHF-high and UHF, but a single combination VHF-high/UHF antenna would be a better choice and could be added to the same, single coax downlead easily: create your own 'stacked' antenna setup.

I no longer have VHF-low-band channels in my area but others here have more experience than I trying to receive it and may know where to find a low-band antenna. There are many high-band VHF / UHF antennas available like this example: Winegard VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (HD7694P) from Solid Signal

Here is another option: a combination 'all-band' antenna: Winegard HD 7084P High Defintion VHF/UHF/FM TV Antenna (HD7084P) from Solid Signal

Don't buy anything until others respond.

Jim

The first thing I did was to try and determine if the low band VHF channels in the area are transmitting programing that might be desired, and in this case it took a bit of a search as no program information was listed on Rabbitears.info for WORK, or W39AR. What I found is it looks like they are both listed as being repeats of WBIN. Which means it is likely only one of them is on the air.
RabbitEars.Info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBIN-TV
RabbitEars.Info
I feel low band VHF reception is worth pursuing at that location. It's not a real good location.
With the difference in bands low VHF,high VHF, UHF, and the difference in directions. What I would suggest trying is a RCA ANT3036WR aimed at about 130 degrees, and a Stellar Labs 30-2475 high VHF yagi aimed at 194 degrees, and building a switched or dual tuner system.
Amazon.com: RCA ANT3036WR Outdoor 30 Element 113 1/4 - Inch Boom Antenna: Electronics
The RCA ANT3037XR would also work, but is higher priced.
Stellar Labs Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-HI HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2475 (302475) | Stellar Labs
You could try for WMTW at 62 degree.
The HD Stacker, and the Winegard HD7698P are the wrong antennas for this location.
Steve

bbaker73

DTVUSA Member
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure WORK or W39AR actually broadcast anything (or anything worth watching :) ). They tune at my house, but there is no programming, just blank screens. The ones I want to make sure he gets are:

WPXG-DT 33 ION
WENH-TV 11 PBS
WMUR-TV 9 ABC
WNEU-DT 34

He tunes most of those with the 8 bay, but loses them sometimes, especially 9, and seems dependent on the seasons (he's on the backside of a very slight hill and lots of trees and a neighbors house on the high side of the hill in the way of 9).

I was hoping with the Stacker or HD7698P that those channels would be more stable, and also if a rotator in the 62 degree position, he might be able to get out of Maine:

WMTW-DT 8 ABC
WCSH-DT 44 NBC

I don't think there's any chance to reach the CBS station in maine wgme 38 at 66 degrees or the Boston CBS WBZ 30 at 165 from his location. I get stations in the -8/-10db -98/-100dbm out of Boston with the HDB91X in Southern New Hampshire, but with my 3 story house and 20' mast, putting the HDB91X at about 50', I'm sure that's the drastic difference. I cannot get his antenna that high.

So if CBS is out, and if 8 and 44 are going to be questionable, then I really just need to make sure he gets the first set.

Does that change your suggestion at all?

thanks, Brian

I think WMTW-DT 8 ABC WCSH-DT 44 NBC are a wild shot. As I'm sure you know if you point a high gain antenna that direction you run a good chance of losing some of the other channels.
I would suggest a kind of home built version of the stacker. I'd use the Stellar Labs 30-2475 on the VHF side because it's currently the best choice available, and has a 60 to 50 degree half power beam width as modeled in 4nec2 by holl_ands is wide enough beam width that with luck and careful aiming should receive both WENH and WMUR.
HiVHF 8-El FD-Yagi - Stellar Labs 302475
On the UHF side there are quite a few choices I don't think any of them will cover from WPXG-DT 33 to WNEU-DT on a single aim. WNEU is a weak signal the antenna will need to be aimed at it. WPXG might still sneak in. Keep in mind the higher the gain of the antenna the more narrow the beam width.
Suggested shopping list.
Stellar Labs Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-HI HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2475 (302475) | Stellar Labs
Stellar Labs UHF - VHF Antenna Combiner | 33-2230 (332230) | Stellar Labs
Stellar Labs HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Television Antenna | 30-2155 (302155) | Stellar Labs or
Stellar Labs HDTV 70 Mile Deep Fringe Yagi Television Antenna | 30-2415 (302415) | Stellar Labs
You can certainly use the 8 bay on the UHF side and just add the UVSJ and VHF Yagi.
Steve

bbaker73

DTVUSA Member
That would be similar setup to mine at home, but less expensive. Do you think the Stellar 30-2415 has comparable performance to the 91XG style? I have Solid Signals HDB91X which brings me in the 40-50 mile Boston channels.

I can only take a wild guess. The tradition antenna man in me would say the 91 style antennas with the longer boom would have more gain. In the real world they would probably be quite close with best performance varying between locations, and installations. They are both most likely built by Qiaohua Technology Company, who is not known for honest specs. It does seem they are getting a bit better.
Steve

bbaker73

DTVUSA Member
Hmm. Considering what you guys said, I emailed WBIN to see if/what are transmitted on 3 & 4. Their regular unreachable channel 50 has 3 virtuals. Waiting to hear back to see if these are retransmitted on 3 or 4.

Starting to wonder if Jim's suggestion Winegard HD 7084P High Defintion VHF/UHF/FM TV Antenna (HD7084P) from Solid Signal or the 8200p might be the easiest option for this, as they appear to cover all bands. I could put it on a rotator, if it can handle thus large antenna, so he could move to any of the three directions. He's not technical AT ALL so I have to make it as easy as possible for him.

Brian

I used a cheap Radio Shack rotor for couple of years. The aiming accuracy was terrible. Other than that I didn't have much trouble with it. I was only turning a VU-90XR 80" long about 72" wide. I don't think I would have wanted to put anything much bigger than that on it.
I've been big on links to this site today. Scroll down to rotors it's a good read.
Glossary R to Z
Steve

bbaker73

DTVUSA Member
Hi guys, I had emailed with no response and finally called WBIN. Channel 3 & 4 are low watt only broadcasting one channel and on "temporary special permit". So I don't think I'll bother with low vhf.

running down his list of reachables:

33 Want
3 no
4 no
11 want
9 want
34 no all spanish
39 no
8 not gonna try for, 9 more important other direction
44 maybe with 33
27 maybe with 33

So I need to decide on VHF antenna to catch 9 and 11.

I'm thinking with UHF, I want to get 33, but if I can point it at 27 (a stretch) or 44 and get one of those with 33 sneaking in the side that would be good. My Solid Signal HDB91X at my house is pointed at 200, but 33 and 44 sneak in from 350 and 34 degrees. Of course they are more coming in the back length of the boom as opposed to the side, but 33 has a strong signal on his tvfool so I'm hoping this will work.

So I think that puts me back to Steve's suggestion HiVHF 8-El FD-Yagi - Stellar Labs 302475 to get 9 and 11 and then Stellar Labs HDTV 70 Mile Deep Fringe Yagi Television Antenna | 30-2415 (302415) | Stellar Labs or HDB91X like mine to get 33 and try for 44 or 27.

bbaker73

DTVUSA Member
Guys, when splitting vhf/uhf like this where the vhf is stronger, is there a preferred way to use a preamp on the just the uhf side? I mean, can you put the preamp on the uhf side before the combiner near the antennas and will it pass power through the combiner, or do you need to run 2 drops into the house, one from each antenna and put the combiner after the power inserter on the uhf line?

I would have to look up which UVSJs are power passing on which side for running a pre-amp ahead of them they are not all the same, some pass power on the UHF side, others pass power on the VHF side. While I don't have that information in front of me right now I can find it. I don't see anything in that TV Fool report that is likely to cause overload. I'd place the pre-amp after the UVSJ.
Steve