HD Technology Fee of $9.95 on my Comcast Bill

U

Unregistered

I want to know if a cable company can just add a new charge on someone's bill and not even tell them about it before hand.

I didn't notice it last month because we had bought a couple of movies through Comcast's On Demand service, but they did start charging $9.95 on last month and this month's bill for "HD Technology Fee". I don't understand because this fee is in addition to a Comcast DVR that we're already paying for at $9.95 a month.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
This is what I found about the subject:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective 11/01/10, the Digital Converter with HDTV Capabilities charge on the primary outlet will be renamed HD Technology Fee. The HD Technology Fee provides access to Comcast HD technology on all outlets in the home connected to a HD converter or other HD capable equipment. The current monthly prices of $6.00 for subscribers with a minimum subscription of Digital Preferred and $9.25 for all other Digital subscribers will remain the same.

Attachments

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Also, they used to charge an HD fee for every connection into your home. They eliminated that for the single technology fee. You can now have HD on all your TVs for that single fee. Some folks had their fee reduced as a result, so this was actually a good change in the overall picture.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
My experience with Comcast is that if they can find a way to jack your bill up they will. That is part of the reason that Comcast and I ended our customer/cable company relationship with my extreme dislike of them. Now, they just pay me, and I enjoy that relationship much more.

Orrymain

In fairness, they all do it. Comcast is hardly alone in making rate hikes. This is why the cable industry as a whole comes under fire with regularity for their rates.

G

Feel your pain. Comcast tried billing me for additional HD fee of $8.95 a month . Fight back!! Refuse to pay this . They did not invest in HD technology and this is available only because feds and tax payers like you paid for Digital R&R . Told them I was not going to pay this and would be contacting Attorney General office to file consumer complaint for price gouging on DVR Box. Comcast management and CSR changed their position and agreed correct my bill and only charge for DVR box fee of $8.00 and waive HD fee they were adding to my bill. Companies rely on customers to bitch and complain but in the end pay for these fees with no real resistance other than to claim how unhappy they are with the service they have agreed to pay for while getting screwed in the process. Those who are willing to take action and fight which is a very small minority will prevail. Last thing this company wants is the AG office phone to begin ringing off the hook with consumer complaints and requests for intervention and possible investigation into their billing practices by the States Attorney general office.

G

Not in fairness... in collusion

In fairness... Seriously? Do you recall the saying "Two wrongs don't make a right"?

Actions of companies, like these, bring to mind the terms collusion, conspiracy and racketeering. I guess it is time for the public to make their own laws to protect themselves. We can start with a real "Truth in Advertising" law to prevent any "fine print" legal disclaimers and force companies to provide the FULL and TRUE cost of ownership/usage up front. Then we can have a "Fair Billing Act" to prohibit companies from any add on costs or fees; everything would have to be covered in the cost of the service. Advertisers might actually have to start working for their money instead of relying on schemes and shell games like "Get a free phone with a 2 year contract that has a price which is 150% of the independent cost of service without a contract. Your final price for the 2 years of service AND the phone are just $2,880".

G

HD Technology Fee

I fought this today. They said they "just discovered" that I had not been charged for this since my move in Aug. 2012. I told them whatever equipment they installed was what I had negotiated for. Not my fault that technician had installed an HD box instead of a digital box (if there even is a difference). They compromised by giving me a $10 per month discount for the next 12 months. my 1 year is up in Aug and I will renegotiate then.
What is really going on is Comcast is paying for buying NBC Universal and needs the dough. They sniff out easy pickings and bill you. It's up to you to protest this theft by corporate American by standing up for what's right.

MrPogi

Staff member
I fought this today. They said they "just discovered" that I had not been charged for this since my move in Aug. 2012. I told them whatever equipment they installed was what I had negotiated for. Not my fault that technician had installed an HD box instead of a digital box (if there even is a difference). They compromised by giving me a $10 per month discount for the next 12 months. my 1 year is up in Aug and I will renegotiate then.
What is really going on is Comcast is paying for buying NBC Universal and needs the dough. They sniff out easy pickings and bill you. It's up to you to protest this theft by corporate American by standing up for what's right.
3 steps to a better TV experience:

1. Or put up an antenna and get your local channels in HD for free.
  2. Get a Roku box.
  3. Cancel the Cable. Save $9.95 "HD Technology Fee", plus the rest of your cable bill.

You may have to live without sports 24/7. But last Sunday I counted 6 sporting events, all at once, on JUST my local channels.

G

The same thing happened to me. I called and they some how adjusted the account. One billing cycle later they bill me again for the HD Technology Fee. Let's hope that you don't have the same ending as me.

G

Comcast up to it's old tricks

I noticed on my latest bill I was being charged $1.99 for all 3 of my Additional outlet service. Digital adapter. These are the small boxes. Not HD capable. Up to this bill the first 2 were to be free and I had to pay for the third one. Not any more! I called and was told this changed March 1 along with the added HD Technology fee. What a bunch of crap! Comcast knows they always have the upper hand and always chooses to show it! If the government wants to be involved in our everyday lives this is a good starting point! Only they can rein in Comcast's reign of terror! Even the electric company has to get approval for rate hikes. Why not Cable?

Orrymain

The rates just keep getting higher, too. It's really a horrible Catch 22 for someone who does want all those channels via a simple way.

MrPogi

Staff member
I was just poking around the internet and discovered that several countries have satellite TV services that start at about $7 a month, and at the high end not over $40 - and that includes HBO and Cinemax. Sure, there's no 250 channel package, but it seems to be a good mix of content, no "fillers" like religious and home shopping channels. And amazingly enough, it's also available pre-paid: you can get it without signing a 2 year contract, just like a pre-paid phone!