HD tuner (QAM-ATSC) for a projector?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Does it matter what kind of HD tuner I use with my Viewsonic PRO8100 projector? Right now I'm not able to get local TV with DirecTV, so I'd appreciate any help.
OldTiredandCranky, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Your projector includes component as well as HDMI inputs. For the best viewing experience you want to make sure the HD tuner you choose has either component or HDMI outputs. Are you trying to get a tuner OTA HD DTV or a tuner that works with DirecTV?

OldTiredandCranky, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Your projector includes component as well as HDMI inputs. For the best viewing experience you want to make sure the HD tuner you choose has either component or HDMI outputs. Are you trying to get a tuner OTA HD DTV or a tuner that works with DirecTV?
Hi thank you. Yes, specifically I'm looking for an HDMI converter that'll be compatible with my projector. You mentioned that some HD tuners work in conjunction with DirecTV?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Hi thank you. Yes, specifically I'm looking for an HDMI converter that'll be compatible with my projector. You mentioned that some HD tuners work in conjunction with DirecTV?
There are a couple ways to go. The least expensive in the long run is a rooftop antenna and a HD tuner DVR. The other is dependent upon the area you live in.

(1) Do you have a rooftop antenna or the ability to install one?
(2) What is the location of your DirecTV?

Post back with this information and we can better direct you.

I have a rooftop UHF/VHF that I've split with a 3-way splitter, so I have a good connection into the DirecTV receiver now, but it's all analog. What I'd like to do is find something that can output atleast 720p with an atleast component output to the project and then run audio to my receiver. The best would be to run directly to my receiver which connects to my projector with HDMI. sorry to be a pain in the ass.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I have a rooftop UHF/VHF that I've split with a 3-way splitter, so I have a good connection into the DirecTV receiver now, but it's all analog. What I'd like to do is find something that can output atleast 720p with an atleast component output to the project and then run audio to my receiver. The best would be to run directly to my receiver which connects to my projector with HDMI. sorry to be a pain in the ass.
Not a pain at all. The best recommendation I can give is to purchase a Dish Network DTVPal DVR. It has an HDMI as well as component output for true HD.

Which DirecTV receiver are you using in this system? When we get the make and model of the receiver we'll know the connections and switching options available to you. I believe most of the newer receivers have an additional input, so you won't need to purchase another expensive HDMI cable.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Not a pain at all. The best recommendation I can give is to purchase a Dish Network DTVPal DVR. It has an HDMI as well as component output for true HD.

Which DirecTV receiver are you using in this system? When we get the make and model of the receiver we'll know the connections and switching options available to you. I believe most of the newer receivers have an additional input, so you won't need to purchase another expensive HDMI cable.
I second 1inxs' vote for the DTVPal DVR, but if you're just looking for a HD converter, then have a look at this post http://www.dtvusaforum.com/everything-else/1777-hd-ready-tv.html#post9166