Hd tv

sunshine4

DTVUSA Member
I finally am up with the times and bought a HD TV. Now I have to get the HD package on my dish. I have a very basic dish plan. Does anyone know if the HD package is going to raise my bill a ton each month? Is there a big difference in the picture?

bicker

DTVUSA Member
With an HDTV, there is a very big improvement getting the HD signal. Some folks feel that SD (standard definition) looks worse on an HDTV than it looked on older analog televisions.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
With an HDTV, there is a very big improvement getting the HD signal. Some folks feel that SD (standard definition) looks worse on an HDTV than it looked on older analog televisions.
I really don't think so bicker. I don't see it here anyway. What I hate is when people get HDTV's and stretch the SD to fill the screen making everyone look 40 lbs. overweight. I prefer watching SD with black pillar bars on the sides.

Most of my viewing is HD so I am not worried about nor after 5 years on my Toshiba 57" CRT do I have any burn in.

There was a time several years ago that I picked up the digital TV box from Time Warner just to see what that was like. Some of the channels (especially the digital subs) they offer looked horrible. The HD was OK but the Dish Network channels look much better. I gave the box back in less than a month.

Last summer I added an OTA antenna to my Dish set-up and now I see digital subs OTA. They look great. Especially RTV!

Yes616

The Mod Squad
You need to come here, then. I can show you a humongous difference in picture quality between HD and SD.
Maybe I worded my last post a bit wrong. I agree that HD looks much better than SD but the SD I am looking at does not look so bad as some people make it. Of course I prefer HD over SD.

Is there a big difference in the picture?
There is a great difference, even a "WOW" difference when seeing great HD for the first time.

A common misrepresentation is that SD looks "worse than before" and in some cases this will be true.

But, an optimized Dish system will have some SD stations that will near fool you that they are HD, and a few that stand out as consistently lower quality. But leaving out the 2 or 3 that are the worst, you will be very pleased with the picture. This holds true of cable, satellite, or OTA. (You will also need to calibrate your TV to achieve these results and results may vary slightly depending on your location.)

In systems that report a very large difference in the quality, or complaint of poor SD quality, then something is out of order.

This is quite often the case when:

1. You are using the factory settings out of the box.
2. Your antenna/dish has low signal on the SD satellites/feeds.
3. Your system is poorly installed lacking grounding, having loose connections or poor workmanship, creating too much noise and degrading the signal.

Picture quality variation (errors in the picture/change in quality) is most easily seen in SD programming vs. HD programming, and it is therefore more often reported.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The most significant cause of what I was referring to is that folks are used to seeing SD presented on a screen that is generally smaller than the big-screen HDTV that they just purchased, so their perception of SD on their HDTV is mostly affected by the fact that the same number of pixels is spread over a much larger surface area, thereby making the picture look of inferior quality, grainier, etc.

Before, when I was still using an SD, I'm already enjoying what I am watching on it. Not until I bought an HDTV. I thought when I was watching movies using my HDTV in SD presentation that the quality is bad. I then later on realized that the settings were not right. Set it up. Now, I'm enjoying it to the fullest, may it be in HD or SD presentation.

The most significant cause of what I was referring to is that folks are used to seeing SD presented on a screen that is generally smaller than the big-screen HDTV that they just purchased, so their perception of SD on their HDTV is mostly affected by the fact that the same number of pixels is spread over a much larger surface area, thereby making the picture look of inferior quality, grainier, etc.
I am referring to a similar idea.

These great new digital TV's are very capable of giving everyone great SD too. Since SD uses far less information (1/6th) to render a picture on the same large screen, the SD picture quality reveals more accurately how far out of adjustment your calibration is (and other things). Or in other words, picture quality variation is more noticeable to the average viewer watching SD than one watching HD.

The worse your SD looks, the further from correct are the settings, etc.

bm42

DTVUSA Member
Sd vs HD

I think alot of difference may be due to the TV that you may have. I have a Sony 60" 1080 and the SD on this set is extraordinary. I only recently started getting HD through Dish and there is a difference more to do with clarity of picture, just a little sharper. But, when just with SD or on SD channels on Dish, there is not a huge difference at least on the system I have.