HDCreate HD Programming

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Since the DTV transition I've noticed the PBS affiliate has bumped its signal output. Prior to the transition the signal faded in and out, which made for some irritating viewing. Tonight on HDCreate I watched Nature. Nature is a PBS series. It was excellent. It was all about sea turtles, whales and other natural wonders of the world. I think I like HDCreate as much as I liked Discovery on cable.

Nature on PBS - Nature Spoilers, Episode Guides, Message Board

# Create, which debuted from American Public Television (APT) in January 2006, is a dynamic round-the-clock channel of popular lifestyle and how-to programming.
PBS | About PBS | Corporate Facts

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Tried searching Google for more info on it, there's little out there...

"PBS HD Create" brings up this link: PBS Digital Television | PBS which is not very descriptive. There's no wiki entry for it either.
I found this link

PBS | About PBS | PBS TO LAUNCH 'PBS HD CHANNEL' MARCH 1, 2004, FEATURING STATE-OF-THE-ART, AWARD-WINNING PROGRAMMING IN HIGH DEFINITION & WIDESCREEN

EDIT: and this link KBYU-TV | HD Television Schedule

I watched a couple of concerts as well as some NOVA programming. What I've watched I've really enjoyed. The concerts were in full surround sound in my HT room. The Breaking Benjamin concert was awesome. Their song Dancing With the Devil, rocks!! :first: NOVA in HD WS on the big screen was eye popping.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I found this link

PBS | About PBS | PBS TO LAUNCH 'PBS HD CHANNEL' MARCH 1, 2004, FEATURING STATE-OF-THE-ART, AWARD-WINNING PROGRAMMING IN HIGH DEFINITION & WIDESCREEN

EDIT: and this link KBYU-TV | HD Television Schedule

I watched a couple of concerts as well as some NOVA programming. What I've watched I've really enjoyed. The concerts were in full surround sound in my HT room. The Breaking Benjamin concert was awesome. Their song Dancing With the Devil, rocks!! :first: NOVA in HD WS on the big screen was eye popping.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTafQnXY5vY[/YOUTUBE]

:dance: Never knew they did a concert session for PBS. I gotta keep better track of these things.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Create is a PBS network that manly runs cooking, DYI, craft programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Create_(television_network)

Here we get it on both PBS stations (well if Jax will come in).

List of programs.

List of programs broadcast by Create - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is missing a couple I watch and some there are no longer shown.

It's a great channel.

WUFT here in Gainesville runs it straight, no local cut in and just a constant bug for stations ID.

=============

However the PBS HD Channel is long gone, sadly. The one referenced here

Trip had an article on it I can't find but it left the air in about Nov or Dec 2008. It only lasted 4 years. All PBS HD was moved to their main programming feed.

=============

Also if you were seeing Nova or Concerts on Create, then it was a local dub in. Create doesn't carry Nova or Concerts.

One of two things, you were talking about the PBS main feed or their PBS World feed.
PBS World carries a lot of reruns from PBS Main, plus other news, political and world event programs. I have never seen a concert on World, but I have seen Nova replayed on the World feed.

=============

Again Trip follows this stuff closer than I. But I believe PBS only has 3 main national feeds for OTA.

PBS Main Program in HD and SD
Create only is SD
World only in SD

They also have Sprout for cable and satellite customers

============

Manly states have their own PBS networks. Here in FL, we have 2 I know of.

Florida Channel that shows stuff mainly from Tallahassee (state captical) like CSPAN
Florida Knowledge Network that has learn at home study courses.

Other states do other things. I can see Georgia when the skip rolls because VHF 8 is empty here and they have a PBS Kids type of network that is only in Georgia.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Cox? Huh? :confused:

Comcast carries WGBH, the Boston PBS affiliate, in HD and SD, as well as the four SD channels they broadcast on WGBX sister channel.

The PBS (network) HD channel, itself, has ceased operations. No one carries it anymore, anywhere in the country.

I hope that is a bit clearer.

Piggie

Super Moderator
We had the PBS HD channel for a while, until our local PBS affiliate started broadcasting in HD itself.
So did we here in Gainesville on WUFT. Until Nov 2008, when PBS ended that feed. I loved that channel. Now I get to watch PBS World in 480i with a 1.25 mbps mega block city picture. Why I complain so much about my local PBS and have a huge VHF array pointed out of town even if it only comes in half the time. At that small of bandwidth the picture is beyond awful.

It was a real let down when they canned the national HD feed. I miss it a lot!

Piggie

Super Moderator

Comcast carries WGBH, the Boston PBS affiliate, in HD and SD, as well as the four SD channels they broadcast on WGBX sister channel.

The PBS (network) HD channel, itself, has ceased operations. No one carries it anymore, anywhere in the country.

Exactly, it's gone, finished, dead, no more, nada.

As I said in a much previous post, all their HD content was moved to their main channel.

PBS HD Channel was turned off. It doesn't exist anymore.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member

Oh man do I need some sleep, that's the second airhead post by me in 24 hours. :hippie:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
=============

However the PBS HD Channel is long gone, sadly. The one referenced here

Trip had an article on it I can't find but it left the air in about Nov or Dec 2008. It only lasted 4 years. All PBS HD was moved to their main programming feed.

=============

So, what are you three telling us. HD Create has ceased operations. What has ceased operations? Or was it only broadcast in 480i? You mean to say, it's not broadcast in 1080i. And NOVA is not broadcast on HD Create? Help us better understand what you mean.
7/4/2009 8:00:00 PM
Nature Eagles of Mull
KBYU-TV | HD Television Schedule

bicker

DTVUSA Member
So, what are you three telling us. HD Create has ceased operations.
The three of us are talking about "PBS HD", not HD Create. PBS HD was a national PBS network HD feed. Some PBS affiliates recorded programming off the PBS HD feed, and rebroadcast it as part of their own, local affiliate's HD feed. However, others (especially those, like WGBH, which did not have the capacity to record HD for later broadcast) presented the PBS HD feed, itself as their local affiliate's HD feed. Consequently, it was not a simulcast of their SD feed.

When the PBS network HD feed was discontinued, many of these channels (WGBH included) actually presented and upconverted simulcast of their SD feed as their HD feed (often pillarboxed), until they acquired the necessary equipment.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
There is no such network as "HD Create." KBYU is feeding PBS Create in 480i on 11-4, but for three hours daily KBYU substitutes in its own PBS programming in HD (1080i I think), independent of Create.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
That makes sense because World World show in 1inxs images is actually feed on the main PBS channel that is HD.

What are they doing Trip? Making 11-4 1080i for 3 hours a day? They do that at night? Seems odd, but technically possible. I would guess that means their main program on -1 goes to 480i during those 3 hours?

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
KBYU's 4 subchannels are all 480i 24/7 except for a few hours per day that 11-4 is in 1080i.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why they don't let KUEN-DT take Create and make 11-1 1080i all the time. It would make more sense to me to do that.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
KBYU's 4 subchannels are all 480i 24/7 except for a few hours per day that 11-4 is in 1080i.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why they don't let KUEN-DT take Create and make 11-1 1080i all the time. It would make more sense to me to do that.

- Trip
PBS in general seems very piece meal (Helter Skelter). Looking around Florida's PBS stations you just about need to receive 2 of them to get everything. (except WJCT which only comes in half the time for me). WJCT is the one that sacrificed the main PBS feed to 720p at 9mbps. Ok I know the old argument. But I have to say I can actually watch their subchannels that have better programming (for me) than the main feed.

An a lot of the material on both Create and World was originally shot in HD, though I know it's not even on the satellite that way on those program feeds.

A good solution that is not going to happen would be two PBS stations per town that worked together, not compete like has happened to Orlando causing WMFE to loose funds and go off between 1am and 6 am.

My perfect world idea where PBS1 and PBS2 are the two stations in a town.

PBS1-1 Main PBS feed in 1080i at least 15 m bandwidth
PBS1-2 Local or state stuff like Florida Network or FL Knowledge Network.

PBS2-1 Create in 720p
PBS2-2 World in 720p

There can be holes punched all in my idea about the programming on PBS2 with 720p at about 9 mbps at best. But it's a lot better than watching them in 480i, much less with some stations squashing them to 1.25 mpbs.

Most markets in the top 50 could do this, better serving the public than competing PBS channels. Working to together they could probably be better funded.

Smaller markets probably can't play this game, as I know my 160th market barely supports one UHF burning wide open on RF side.