Question: HDTV for Wilmington Delaware

aquynn

DTVUSA Rookie
I live in Wilmington, DE (zipcode 19808) and bought an antenna but am not picking up ABC or FOX. I am using the Antenna Direct Element with a amplifier. I have it installed on roof about 15 ft high pointing towards philly. Any suggestions on which type of antenna might work better?
Thanks

I live in Wilmington, DE (zipcode 19808) and bought an antenna but am not picking up ABC or FOX. I am using the Antenna Direct Element with a amplifier. I have it installed on roof about 15 ft high pointing towards philly. Any suggestions on which type of antenna might work better?
Thanks
First, post your TV Fool report here (click the link) so we can look more closely at the signals available in your area and analyze what issues you might be having.

Second, an amplifier can cause noise in your signal. You're looking for a good "signal-to-noise ratio," so if your amplifier adds a lot of noise on moderate or weak signal, it can completely mess up your picture. I've read over and over here and in various product reviews that removing the amp clears up all signal issues. Try the antenna without the amp and see what happens.

Third, check and make sure your cable is good quality RG-6 cable. Quad-shielded RG-6 is best, especially if your cable is passing by other electrical circuits (like the power outlet for your TV). If you can't find quad-shielded, at least look for RG-6. If your cable isn't new, make sure the connections aren't corroded, and try to inspect the cable for any damage from an errant squirrel (little demons that they are) or blown debris.

Also, are you using the TV tuner, or do you have a digital tuner box? A lot of new TVs, even "high-end" brands, come with cheap/low-quality tuners that aren't able to parse a signal; meanwhile a high quality tuner has no problem taking the same signal and making a crystal-clear HDTV picture. So, what brand is your TV and/or tuner box?

Last edited by a moderator: