Heat Issues

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
My RCA converter was on for 4 hours last night. Went to shut it off and the top of the box felt like it was 100 degrees or so. Is this normal??
It's normal for the RCA. They are said to run warmer than most. Don't keep it in an enclosed entertainment center and make sure you allow it to get good ventilation.

CadDad

DTVUSA Member
Good ventilation will definitely produce less heat. I had my CM-7000 stacked on top of my receiver at one point and I just didn't feel comfortable with the amount of heat both units were throwing out.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Are there other brands beside RCA that are known for being heat-makers, so to speak? I'm just now in the hunting phase for my converter boxes, and this is a problem I definitely want to avoid, especially since I do have a lot of equipment.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
The Sunkey SK-801ATSC DTV Converter Box I tested also runs hot.

The heat sink was applied with thermal silicone that will age badly, so I scraped that off, and replaced it with better conducting heat sink thermal grease. When I plugged it in, the cream audibly bubbled out from under the heatsink. Scared me there - but it worked no better than it did.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
The Sunkey SK-801ATSC DTV Converter Box I tested also runs hot.

The heat sink was applied with thermal silicone that will age badly, so I scraped that off, and replaced it with better conducting heat sink thermal grease. When I plugged it in, the cream audibly bubbled out from under the heatsink. Scared me there - but it worked no better than it did.
Are there any converters that don't heat up though? I'd say our RCA gets the hottest the fastest than our dtv pal plus, TR-40, and RCA DTA800B but they all run pretty hot. Almost as hot as our Sony tuner and that runs at a higher wattage.

If you think a converter box gets hot i had an old RCA 13" Color TV that had vacuum tubes that would become a very effective space heater capable of making a room around 86 degrees *F during summer!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Geez, my computer runs hot. Seriously, though, I'm very aware of that kind of thing, especially since I keep the TV on most of the day. The cable boxes got hot, too, sometimes. I"m very careful with ventilation. I'm still waiting to see which converter box we're getting. My sister was supposed to get a couple over the weekend, but I never heard from her.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Geez, my computer runs hot. Seriously, though, I'm very aware of that kind of thing, especially since I keep the TV on most of the day.
Right. When shopping for power supplies for my PCs, I try to get the lowest wattage possible nowadays, as well as under-clocking the CPU speeds so they run cooler. It works because I limit one computer to a certain task, stripping off add-ons, unless they're needed. I have 6 computers in one room, sharing two sets of keyboards, monitors and mice. Most run fine at 100-140 watts, running from 466 MHz to 3 GHz. I try to use the lowest speed computers more often, as I don't always do memory intensive stuff. I never use anything beyond WinXP SP1, all that security really throttles the speed.

Piggie

Super Moderator
WARNING GRANDPA STORY

When I was in college my ham shack was a small storage closet off the back sun room that didn't have any heater vents (had been a screen porch the landlord enclosed, so it was cold in the winter.

I would get home from school (and later work) and turn on everything in there. By the time I finished eating, it would be the warmest room in the house. The only thing that was solid state in my rigs is I had replaced all the tube rectifiers with silicon diodes, but everything thing else was tubes. Then come summer, I only turned on what I needed! Even leaving the big amp off unless DX I was chasing was heard.

I have an Insignia and to me it doesn't get too hot.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
WARNING GRANDPA STORY

When I was in college my ham shack was a small storage closet off the back sun room that didn't have any heater vents (had been a screen porch the landlord enclosed, so it was cold in the winter.

I would get home from school (and later work) and turn on everything in there. By the time I finished eating, it would be the warmest room in the house. The only thing that was solid state in my rigs is I had replaced all the tube rectifiers with silicon diodes, but everything thing else was tubes. Then come summer, I only turned on what I needed! Even leaving the big amp off unless DX I was chasing was heard.

I have an Insignia and to me it doesn't get too hot.
What the heck is a ham shack?? hehe