Help! After the transition I lost 4 networks!

charry47

DTVUSA Rookie
Before the transition I had seven networks coming in great via digital signal. (The channels are 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 9-1, 11-1, and 13-1, if it matters.) Now I don't get anything from 7-1 on up. These are normally stations that come in great. I've had my TV autoscan several times, with the antenna in several different positions, and it can't pick up the signal. I've even kept the signal meter on, and it doesn't get even a hint of those stations. Any idea what could be wrong?

I'm using digital TV with built-in digital tuner, and an antenna designed for DTV. I've been switched over since March and everything worked great until yesterday. I'm in Los Angeles County, and all the coverage maps say I should be fine.

Chris

gilloz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Channels 2 thru 13 went to the UHF band. You need to have a combo VHF/UHF antenna in order to get all the channels. Channels 2 thru 6 are on UHF, but their virtual output is on 2 thru 5. Channels 7 to 13 stayed on VHF upper band, only now they are in the Digital format. I live in the High Desert and only have a UHF antenna. I lost Channels 7 to 13, but I can still receive Channels 2 to 5 on the same spot. I thought all the channels would be going to UHF and so I put up an only UHF antenna. WRONG! Channels 7 to 13 decided to stray put on the upper end of the VHF band where they were all along. I am 60 miles from Mt. Wilson so my antenna is a high gain 8 Bay Bow Tie type with a preamp mounted about 30 ft. on the roof. Before the transition, I received 45 channels. Now, I receive 34 channels and most of them are in a foreign language. You didn't say what kind of antenna you are using or how far you are from the station transmitters, but it could be only in your antenna setup. BTW, my DTV box is a Channel Master CM-7000.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Make sure you are auto scanning the digital side and not the analog. That is auto program the digital tuner. This does not mean auto scan the channels that are currently programmed into the channel lineup.
Before the transition I had seven networks coming in great via digital signal. (The channels are 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 9-1, 11-1, and 13-1, if it matters.) Now I don't get anything from 7-1 on up. These are normally stations that come in great. I've had my TV autoscan several times, with the antenna in several different positions, and it can't pick up the signal. I've even kept the signal meter on, and it doesn't get even a hint of those stations. Any idea what could be wrong?

I'm using digital TV with built-in digital tuner, and an antenna designed for DTV. I've been switched over since March and everything worked great until yesterday. I'm in Los Angeles County, and all the coverage maps say I should be fine.

Chris

I have an amplified antenna that works for vhf and uhf and I suddenly lost KABC-DT. In fact, I lost all KABC channels. I was able to get them all fine before. I'm in Ventura, CA. Anyone else have this issue?

I have an amplified antenna that works for vhf and uhf and I suddenly lost KABC-DT. In fact, I lost all KABC channels. I was able to get them all fine before. I'm in Ventura, CA. Anyone else have this issue?
Many people having this problen in Bay Area....

Digital television conversion is here - 6/13/09 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com

But no solution yet.

I can also get ALL the other channels but KGO/ABC7. In my case I use an indoor antenna (The UFO-like model from Radio Shack) that should have no problem to get UHF/VHF...

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
KABC is kaput here. Websites for affected network have links to shop for antennas.

I thought they were going to add power to the digital channels once the analog was disconnected.

And right in the middle of the playoff, even?

If those are missed, the FCC is gonna hear about THAT!:yell:

I thought they were going to add power to the digital channels once the analog was disconnected.
:
Indeed all my other channels got stronger signal....

I have been playing with the antenna for an hour and for reception from KGO.... but VERY POOR...

They moved to the RF channel 7 where many antennas give very poor reception!!

charry47

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks

Thanks, that's really helpful. I guess I'll have to try going back to a UHF/VHF antenna. I had switched to a UHF only, which has been working great up to this point. Oh well. At least I didn't spend too much money on it.

I wonder why they decided to make that switch. As I mentioned before, all the DTV channels were coming in fine on my UHF antenna until Friday. Were they TRYING to make the switch harder than it needed to be?

Channels 2 thru 13 went to the UHF band. You need to have a combo VHF/UHF antenna in order to get all the channels. Channels 2 thru 6 are on UHF, but their virtual output is on 2 thru 5. Channels 7 to 13 stayed on VHF upper band, only now they are in the Digital format. I live in the High Desert and only have a UHF antenna. I lost Channels 7 to 13, but I can still receive Channels 2 to 5 on the same spot. I thought all the channels would be going to UHF and so I put up an only UHF antenna. WRONG! Channels 7 to 13 decided to stray put on the upper end of the VHF band where they were all along. I am 60 miles from Mt. Wilson so my antenna is a high gain 8 Bay Bow Tie type with a preamp mounted about 30 ft. on the roof. Before the transition, I received 45 channels. Now, I receive 34 channels and most of them are in a foreign language. You didn't say what kind of antenna you are using or how far you are from the station transmitters, but it could be only in your antenna setup. BTW, my DTV box is a Channel Master CM-7000.

I don't know if this affects your situation but for me WEHT-DT (ABC/RTV) when they powered down their analog tower they only had a 'stick' type temporary digital VHF transmitter (no tower and only half the Kw) so that's why i get spotty or no signal from that station.

It's possible that your stations are still getting permits from the FCC or awaiting construction of a new digital tower antenna since they obviously just shut down their analog ones and may not have prepared with a new one yet. as with anything this advanced, it will take patience.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm located in SE Moreno Valley. Morning of 6/12/09 I received a whole bunch of channels, more than I'd ever received analog. These included 7, 7-1, 7-2, 7-3, 7-4, 9-1, 11-1, 13.That evening, those channels read "no signal".

Nothing changed with my setup. I have an outdoor antenna and a recently purchased digital TV. The antenna is pointed in the general direction of LA stations and hasn't moved. The antenna is at the rear of the house while the TV's in the front of the house. A 50' cable connects the two.

I called FCC (888-CALLFCC) the next day and they said they'd received a lot of calls about KABC and recommended rescanning regularly to see if the signals would come in.
Only problem with rescanning is having to go back and block all the non-english speaking channels.

Why did I lose KABC, KTTV, KCOP, and KCAL after the switch when I received them digitally (except KCOP) before the change? Did the signal decrease that much in power? Can I ever expect to receive these stations again or sould I just cross them off of my availablity list forever?
What happened is what we called the hidden transition. Why the FCC and local stations didn't warn viewers is now part of history.

Many people that were digitally ready, passed the "soft" tests, found themselves without channels after June 12th.

What happened was the stations were on a UHF channel for digital but moved back to their old VHF channel digital after the transition. (Again, why didn't they say something to viewers?)

I am guessing your antenna is UHF only and why you are probably not picking up the 4 channels you mention, as all of them moved the actual channel they were on and not what displays on your box or TV.

Even the FCC is being partially in denial about this, telling people to scan, rescan, the rescan, again.

There is one thing you can try as it's a special scan.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-reception/3392-lost-channels-memory-erase-scan.html

IF that doesn't work, tell us what type of antenna you are using.
Then go here and enter your address and it will give you info on your channels. TV Fool
Be sure to enter how high your antenna is above ground.

Take the link they provide there and paste it back here, so we can analyze your situation.

Huh, guess what. After the FIOS guy messed around with the antenna inputs, combining all 3 connections through a Monster 3-way -5.7db splitter (thereby ruining all the shows I was recording today,) I reset my connections, and I tried something a little different.

I raised the azimuth of the antenna about two inches, and straightened the balun output cable.

POW! One TV in the far corner of the house got all 4 stations lost (high VHF 7, 9, 11, 13) while 2 other TVs got just 7, just barely. There's a pause in scanning on 7, 9, 11, 13 frequencies. Some channels are coming in rotten, though. I guess I still have to fiddle around up in there.

The analog nightlight stations are coming in real sharp, but those channels are useless.

I think an amplifier would do the trick. Know of any very low db loss splitters out there?

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I think an amplifier would do the trick. Know of any very low db loss splitters out there?
If you're talking about a splitter to feed the signal to your tv's then a preamp or distribution amp will make the splitter loss negligible.

I've never found a low loss splitter but there are amplified splitters. Doubt an amplified splitter would be any better than a using an amplifier and a splitter though.

Make sure you are auto scanning the digital side and not the analog. That is auto program the digital tuner. This does not mean auto scan the channels that are currently programmed into the channel lineup.
Listen to this suggestion, they helped me with my problem. I was having the same problem with my Digital TV I couldn't get 2,4 & 5 and had to connect a converter box to a brand new tv, I was not a happy camper. Had "experts" tell me it was the whole antenna thing and sold be an ampifier one which didn't solve the problem. I had to change my "signal" in the set up menu on the TV from "Cable" to "Air" then rescan and I now get everything (83 channels) from an 8-10 year old roof antenna with no adjusting. You can read the answers I got on the "Digital TV Missing Channels" thread! It worked for me!

I am having the same problem but with only one L.A. Channel, KCBS, digital 2.1. I have a new HDTV Outdoor Slim HDTV Antenna from Audiovox (unamplified), two new LCD TVs with digital tuners. I live 9.4 miles from the transmitter antenna on a hill, 1100 feet high, with a direct line of sign to the transmitter on top of Mt. Wilson. I can get all the other zillion L.A. area channels but digital channel 2.1 is hit or miss -- mostly miss. I am not sure why just this one channel is not coming in. When I rescan the tuner, I may be channel 2.1 for a day or two or a few hours.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

gilloz

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am having the same problem but with only one L.A. Channel, KCBS, digital 2.1. I have a new HDTV Outdoor Slim HDTV Antenna from Audiovox (unamplified), two new LCD TVs with digital tuners. I live 9.4 miles from the transmitter antenna on a hill, 1100 feet high, with a direct line of sign to the transmitter on top of Mt. Wilson. I can get all the other zillion L.A. area channels but digital channel 2.1 is hit or miss -- mostly miss. I am not sure why just this one channel is not coming in. When I rescan the tuner, I may be channel 2.1 for a day or two or a few hours.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
I find that unusual because I live in the High Desert near Edwards Air Force Base and I get Channel 2(CBS) with a 100% signal strength. You could be overdriving, not sure. Have you tried using some cheap Rabbit Ears indoors to see what that yields? The reception of Digital signals appear to be more complicated than Analog. From what you say your distance is from Mount Wilson, a wire coat hanger should also work. You may have to add a variable signal attenuator.