Help choosing an antenna

kevinpm

DTVUSA Rookie
I could use some in choosing an antenna. I'm in a fare sized metropolitan area with decent reception overall with an indoor leaf antenna, but last weekend's superbowl had a few more dropouts than I was comfortable with.

I'd like to install a whole house antenna system. There is already some coax installed, but I can run more cable, pre-amps or DA's if I need to.

I'm really just trying to receive the network affiliates & their sister stations. Looks like all the stations signals I watch, are stronger than -50dbm, range from 16-47 UHF & originate from the North-NorthEast quadrant (-358 to 64 degrees), all less than 12 miles away.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=51349cb92e683d

I'd prefer not to mount antenna on the roof, but the attic would work ok (single layer asphalt & hardboard siding). While I'm not really in a valley, I am lower than most of my immediate neighbors.

The mohu, channelmaster, wineguard, clearstream choices are confusing me. Would something like the Channel Master 4221HD work in the attic?

Thanks in advance

By the way, I haven't been in the house tool long & just found an old Jerrold antenna in the garage attic. Looks more VHF than UHF, so not sure how much it would help. It does have a coax tap, but currently running the old 300ohm wire. IMG_2676.jpg

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Kevinpm

A Channel Master HD4221 is a good choice: I have one and it is a well built antenna.

Based on your reasonable results using a Leaf, if you're game try the Jerrold antenna with coax. It appears to have 6 elements in its UHF section which may be adequate. You said it has "a coax tap" and I'm not certain what you mean. If it has screw terminals, you can use a common balun available from most hardware stores to connect coax.

Regarding your whole-house plan, how many rooms will be wired? Is the existing coax RG-59 or RG-6? I ask because RG-6 has about half of the signal loss over a distance compared to RG-59. Are there any 'satellite TV' devices in the existing coax? If so, they are not compatible with OTA broadcasting.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Looking @ your TVfoll, none of your stations are VHF. I would go with a UHF "bowtie" 4 bay like this Quad Bay Outdoor HDTV/DTV/UHF Bowtie Television Antenna Pointed to about 35 degrees. That should get all your channels from 0 degrees to 66, down to KUKC-ld.

Your old antenna may work, but it's probably more directional than a bowtie. Run new RG-6 cable. You may not be able to fit the bowtie in the attic, but give it a try. If you're splitting to more than 2 TV sets, you may need a pre-amp.

kevinpm

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for the input. There is some fairly new RG6 installed by Time Warner, but there is some old RG59 that I'll replace as needed. I've got nothing to lose in trying the old antenna, because it has a balun coax connection, but if that doesn't work, I'll replace it with a UHF bowtie. There's no other Satellite TV's on the system. I'm planning on 3 TV's, so I may need to add the pre-amp as recommended.

Thanks again for the advice, Kevin

IMG_2667crop.jpg

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Thank you, Kevin.

The two Jerold antenna images represent the earliest (factory) addition of an integrated balun I have seen. I hope the old antenna works for you and I am delighted you are giving it a chance. Kudos and good luck! :thumb:

Jim

I could use some in choosing an antenna. I'm in a fare sized metropolitan area with decent reception overall with an indoor leaf antenna, but last weekend's superbowl had a few more dropouts than I was comfortable with.

I'd like to install a whole house antenna system. There is already some coax installed, but I can run more cable, pre-amps or DA's if I need to.

I'm really just trying to receive the network affiliates & their sister stations. Looks like all the stations signals I watch, are stronger than -50dbm, range from 16-47 UHF & originate from the North-NorthEast quadrant (-358 to 64 degrees), all less than 12 miles away.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=51349cb92e683d

I'd prefer not to mount antenna on the roof, but the attic would work ok (single layer asphalt & hardboard siding). While I'm not really in a valley, I am lower than most of my immediate neighbors.

The mohu, channelmaster, wineguard, clearstream choices are confusing me. Would something like the Channel Master 4221HD work in the attic?

Thanks in advance

By the way, I haven't been in the house tool long & just found an old Jerrold antenna in the garage attic. Looks more VHF than UHF, so not sure how much it would help. It does have a coax tap, but currently running the old 300ohm wire. View attachment 3606
Hey! I recognize those station call letters! You're not far from my old stomping grounds! How 'bout that World Series!

You're really in excellent position to receive just about anything. That older antenna in your attic is directional, but you're so close to the towers you'll probably have issues with too much signal. Just get it pointed northeast and you're probably fine. I'm honestly surprised you have issues with the leaf antenna.

You do have 75db of signal on some stations, so if you've added an amp or pre-amp take it off. You may be overloading your tuner.

kevinpm

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks again for all the input. I finally had a free day to run some Rg6 from the old antenna to the main TV & its a big improvement! No more picture breakups. I'm not using any pre-amps, and may not need one to run to a couple of other TV's, but we'll see. Yes I'm in KC Royals land, thanks for asking ATL Royals!

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Kevin,

Woohoo! I am glad you gave your "old Jerrold antenna" a chance rather than replacing it and congratulations on your results! :thumb:

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the input. I finally had a free day to run some Rg6 from the old antenna to the main TV & its a big improvement! No more picture breakups. I'm not using any pre-amps, and may not need one to run to a couple of other TV's, but we'll see. Yes I'm in KC Royals land, thanks for asking ATL Royals!
Consider me jealous... First, that you were in town for that series. And second, that you found a working antenna in your attic that works great!