Help EV think through CECBs to purchase...

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I have a Zenith DTT901 (well that may be wishful thinking, its gotten off somewhere and I wouldnt be surprised if it never made it back).

So

I was contemplating trying another one. Id like to get 2 one with good meters for testing antennas and snooping transmissions, and one with good program guide.....but I need good sensitive tuners as well.

After much contemplation....Ive arrived at this list in no particular order.

Apex DT 502A
Zinwell ZAT 970A
Dish DTVpal Plus

and perhaps the Tivax either T8 or T9.

Anybody know anything about the Tivax's?

Apex 502A = Samsung DTVS22D tuner.
DTVpal Plus = MicroTune MT2131 tuner.
Zinwell 970A = Sanyo UBD00AL tuner.

Im familiar witht the Sanyo tuner from the Zenith DTT900 I had at one time....and the LG Innotek TDVG-H151F tuner from the Zenith DTT901 somebody is keeping care of for me.

The Dish has the best guide....and VCR timers.
The early production Zinwell 970a's have hidden EPG gems and extended days, I think.....and great dual meters Quality and Strength.....and VCR timers.
The Apex has great dual meters.....and S Video hookup.

How many days on the Dish DTVpal and Apex DT 502A EPG guides?

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Fascinating. Do you know why that is? Limited memory in the box. Technical failure of the system. Mucked up because of the analog shutdown?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm a DTVPal Plus convert. :) All three of those converters you mentioned have pretty equal tuners but I went with the DTVPal plus after seeing images of the TVGOS guide AND I'm very happy with being able to search for topics or shows airing on all channels. One thing I hated about my RCA is that the menu was so slow, but the Pal has a very responsive menu and channel guide. The only bad thing I can say about the Pal is that it's remote lacks a volume control which is not really an issue anymore for me anymore. Get the Pal plus. :)

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Fascinating. Do you know why that is? Limited memory in the box. Technical failure of the system. Mucked up because of the analog shutdown?
No, the box can handle 7 days of data, but I think its up to the broadcaster sending out the TVGOS signal. Most forum posts I've ever read about the DTVPal Plus only talk about 24 hours advance information but they never really explain why more days of PSIP info are sent out.

EscapeVelocity

The CM 7000 almost made the short list. It has S Video and a decent tuner....though the Thompson tuner didnt tingle my geeksense. Close but no cigar. The Tivax has the nice Zoran HD video processor and a Smart Antenna interface....but the Thompson tuner.

The Apex DT 502 also has a Smart Antenna interface. I could use that to check out the RCA ANT2000 Smart Antenna. But from what I understand....Smart Antennas have largely been a flop so far.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The DTVPal Plus can store up to 7 days of PSIP info, but you'll be hardpressed to get that. I think most people are getting 24 hours advance program information.
All of the broadcasters in my area (LA) do not go beyond 11 hours for TVGOS info.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
The DTVPal Plus can store up to 7 days of PSIP info, but you'll be hardpressed to get that. I think most people are getting 24 hours advance program information.
This statement is found in the Dish Network DTVPal Plus owners manual.

Program Guide information is provided by the local channel broadcasters. The amount of guide information varies by channel.
I know I get 7 days on many channels and none to 24 hours on others. Overall it works pretty good. But as O-O hinted to, most others may only be getting 24 hours of guide. I recommend if you purchase a Dish Network DTVPal Plus, don't use the coupon initially. Wait until you've tried the converter and are happy with it. Then use the coupon to save the $40.00 if you have one. I would do this with the 3 CECBs you are considering. This would only be feasible if you aren't mail ordering the CECBs.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Alright, for the record.

TVGOS is a commercial service provided by Macrovision which provides guide data to the DTV Pal.

If TVGOS is not available, either at all in your area or for a given station in your listings, or your receiver does not support TVGOS (most do not) it falls back on the station's EIT data which is part of PSIP. This data is provided by each station and is often only 12 hours or so, though some go longer or shorter.

- Trip

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Alright, for the record.

TVGOS is a commercial service provided by Macrovision which provides guide data to the DTV Pal.

If TVGOS is not available, either at all in your area or for a given station in your listings, or your receiver does not support TVGOS (most do not) it falls back on the station's EIT data which is part of PSIP. This data is provided by each station and is often only 12 hours or so, though some go longer or shorter.

- Trip
It provides guide data to the DTVPal DVR. It doesn't provide it to the DTVPal Plus. The DTVPal Plus only passes the data through to supported hardware. This all goes back to one of the earlier post. Who gets the data and on what hardware.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/electron.../2358-contact-information-tvgos-problems.html

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
It provides guide data to the DTVPal DVR. It doesn't provide it to the DTVPal Plus. The DTVPal Plus only passes the data through to supported hardware. This all goes back to one of the earlier post. Who gets the data and on what hardware.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/electron.../2358-contact-information-tvgos-problems.html
I'm sorry but I'm slightly confused. When you say the DTVPal Plus passes the data to supported hardware, do you mean supported hardware in the Pal Plus unit itself? :)

My Pal Plus has a great guide but no TVGOS logo. that could mean it's not supported or that it's not available. maybe it shows up upon retrieval idk.

It does have a TVGOS feature that can send to an older analog 'GuidePlus TV' but you need extra stuff to do so. it mentions that in the manual. i am not aware of it being in the Pal Plus OS as-is though.