Question: Help in designing antenna system

I am trying to figure out what kind of antenna system I need. My TVFool link is:

TV Fool

My primary goal is to be able to pick up WPSD in Paducah, KY OTA. Any other channels will be great (I know I can easily get several KET channels even with an indoor antenna) but the priority is the Paducah station. However, the TVFool site info indicates it I'll likely need a mast-mounted antenna for WPSD.

I do have a problem with trees close to the house, directly in my line of sight to the coordinates shown for WPSD. I am unlikely to be able to get the antenna above the trees with a mast or roof mounted antenna. Besides moving to a tall tower (something I'd prefer to avoid) the only other option seems to be to mount the antenna on the other side of the trees, but then that would mean a 100' cable run (not counting the ht of the mast).

Any suggestions as to type/model of antenna and optimal height will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Pondering,

You might be able to receive WPSD and other channels using an 8-Bay antenna like a Channel Master 4228 or a smaller antenna like a Channel Master 4221 mounted higher than 25 feet above ground. I receive a channel from 75 miles away that has a similar signal "strength" and 2-edge, but I had to build my own 'cut-to-channel' Yagi. Take a look in my albums here and search for my Project-35 antenna.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Here would be my thought. To get WTVF (CBS) you would need an antenna with strong low VHF gain (real channels 2-6) pointed toward 107 degrees magnetic. Then you could get a high gain UHF antenna such as an Antennas Direct 91XG pointed in the 320 degree area, or mounted on a rotor. Then you would use a UVSJ (UHF VHF Splitter Joiner) to connect the two.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Here would be my thought. To get WTVF (CBS) you would need an antenna with strong low VHF gain (real channels 2-6) pointed toward 107 degrees magnetic. Then you could get a high gain UHF antenna such as an Antennas Direct 91XG pointed in the 320 degree area, or mounted on a rotor. Then you would use a UVSJ (UHF VHF Splitter Joiner) to connect the two.
Except that he wants WPSD (vhf hi) at about 320 degrees, also.

I'd suggest a high gain Uhf/ Vhf combo @ 320, and then later, if he wants to try for 5, he can add a VHF antenna (maybe build a cut to channel?) and point at the CBS VHF-lo 5 station. He could use a UVSJ, or add an amp that has separate UHF / VHF inputs.

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the responses. Basically, it looks like I need a high gain UHF antenna to pull in WSPD. Thanks for the tips and direction on model numbers of antennas.