Help me choose an antenna please

LI-SVT

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out the best antenna for my situation.

My TV Fool plot is here: TV Fool

I would like to receive CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX from either New York City or Connecticut, PBS would be a good bonus. I have no need for both markets. The antenna will be connected to a TiVo DVR so I won't be using a rotor. Ideally the antenna would go in the attic for the WAF and durability, I don't know if I can sell her on a mast etc., etc. We are keeping cable TV so this will be used to supplement what we have now. The north face of the attic is looking through the wood and vinyl siding. The west would be pointing through the asphalt shingles over wood.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Your best bet for the biggest selection of stations is west (275 degree magnetic). Roof would be best, but an attic antenna is a possiblity. You will want a large VHF-high/UHF antenna. Antenna size may be limited by your attic (and you would be much better off with it outdoors). Possible antenna choices:

Antennacraft HBU55

Winegard HD7698P

If they won't fit in your attic a slightly smaller model might work. You may also need a preamp to get the signal to your TVs depending on how many splitters and length of cable.

LI-SVT

DTVUSA Rookie
In your opinion is there any difference in the performance of the HBU55 vs the 7698? Local RS has the HBU55 in stock so that is a 5 min trip away, but I'll wait if the Winegard is truly superior. They are both big but will fit pointing west or north in the attic.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: LI-SVT!

Radio Shack stores usually have a favorable return policy, so if it doesn't work for you it can be returned. Ask about their return policy before you buy.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
In your opinion is there any difference in the performance of the HBU55 vs the 7698? Local RS has the HBU55 in stock so that is a 5 min trip away, but I'll wait if the Winegard is truly superior. They are both big but will fit pointing west or north in the attic.
Based on the specifications the 7698 has 2-3dB more gain than the HBU55. That can be deceptive when comparing antennas across manufactures, but I'd say in this case that it's probably true.