Help Picking Antenna

zig1309

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to get an antenna to receive my local channels in HD. I have Direct Tv right now and they are not available for me. I'm also planning on dropping them in a year when my contract is up. I would like something indoors that is small and doesn't look terrible (for my wife's sake of course). I don't think I'll be able to just have one antenna and then split it out to 3 TVs in the house as I'd have to run new cable and I don't want to do that. I'd still be getting the basic cable from my cable company as I have to pay for that to have the high speed internet PLUS it will give me ESPN which is what I would be most worried about losing. So I wouldn't be against having 3 antenna's hooked up to the tv's if it looked decent. All 3 of my TVs are newer so I wouldn't need a converter. Here is my TVFool report:

TVFool.jpg

Here is the link for the TVFool report in case the picture doesn't work very good:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=7fb982cfbe1f4e

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Just about any indoor antenna will work in your situation. The Mohu Leaf would be good, but relatively expensive.

I build these and have less than $4 invested for parts in each one. Loop Antenna.jpg

Parts are a 6" I.D. loop of 1/4" copper tubing, a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun, a 6 ft piece of dollar store RG59, a 1/2" PVC tee, a square piece of 2x4, two brass wood screws, and a deck screw.

I can pick up stations from 48 miles away. Actually I've picked up all the Denver full power UHF stations at 62 miles using it. ;)

Since your area is served by translators you only have UHF to worry about.

Last edited: