Question: Help selecting the best antenna and location for the cabin:

rowles80

DTVUSA Rookie
Looking for some help setting up TV reception at our cabin. I have never used an antenna as we have cable at our main residence so I am a total rookie at this. That being said I like to thing of myself as a pretty good handy man and a pretty savvy tech geek so I am ready to learn and do!

Here is a link to my TV Fool Map

I have a LCD HDTV that is located in a central room that only has one window facing the Southeast. I am open to indoor antennas, have attic space, and would even consider a roof mount (but I have heard this may not be the best choice for snowy Minnesota winters.) I don't have any problems running cable (but I would love to know what kind and where to buy.)

My budget is $150 or less, and I am really only looking to get a local news channel or two so I can get weather updates and watch football games... however if I can get more channels for my budget I would love it. My goal is to set this up and forget it, I really don't want to spend time adjusting something each time I want to change the channel.

Any help or direction you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

R

Rowles80s

I would prefer a attic mount over a roof mount. Is this dual approach my only option? Also should I by an amplifier as well? Thanks again for all of your help.

SWHouston

Staff member
Rowles,

No, using two antennas only ables you to get more channels without much adu. However, just using one Antenna, will limit your viewing quite a bit, and, it's possible that the higher up you place the antenna, like on a Mast, could help your reception.

One thing you need to do is...
Go back to the TVFool site, and re-enter your information, BUT, scroll down to the bottom of that page, and enter the Height of the Antenna. You didn't do that on your first try, and it probably set the chart at/near ground level.

If you'd consider a Mast/Pole, then enter 20 Ft or what ever height Mast you would consider installing. It's a bit more trouble to install a Mast, but as you want, once done it's a set and forget, and usually improves reception considerably.

Try that and get back to us, and welcome to the Forum.

PS:
I wouldn't recommend an Amp, you're too close to the stations.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I would prefer a attic mount over a roof mount. Is this dual approach my only option? Also should I by an amplifier as well? Thanks again for all of your help.
To get all your stations I'd definitely recommend the two antenna approach since you have stations coming from different directions. I agree with SWHouston on not needing or wanting a amp.

rowles80

DTVUSA Rookie
Here is an update report at 20ft

A Few More Questions:

-If I do mount these two antennas on the roof can I mount them both on one mast? I am hoping for something no too obtrusive with a clean mount (any recommendations?)

-For installation do I install the UVS in the attic or outside on the roof?

-Is the a recommended cable that is preferred?

Also are these still my best options for brands & models given the updated report?

Also is there any chance that I could get by with an internal antenna? Even if it means just one channel?
Sure, there's always a chance. Does it matter what size? You could try an outdoor antenna indoors. Seems like you should be able to get one or two channels. Then if/when you work up some ambition, move it outside.

It's hard to predict what an indoor antenna is going to do. The signal might be stable, or it could bounce around like a meth addict. I use a 4 bay 4221HD antenna indoors, but I'm on the second floor, with a very good TVFool report, a shallow roof, and an uncooperative landlord.

Usually people with access to only 3 or 4 channels want every last morsel. :hungry:

Rick

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
You can try an internal antenna, though its quite likely you'll likely only get KCCW (CBS affiliate), if you get anything at all.

Assuming the mast is tall enough, yes you can install them both on the one mast. (give them probably 2' of spacing)

RG6 Quad Shield is recommended for all new installations and runs

The UVSJ (aka. diplexer) can be mounted on the mast if it has an outdoor housing, otherwise it would be best to mount it in the roofspace.

SWHouston

Staff member
Assuming the mast is tall enough, yes you can install them both on the one mast. (give them probably 2' of spacing)
Personally, I'd go a little more, like about 4' spacing, and...
The additional height has increased the signal strength as well.

However...
I've having second thoughts here. Given the cost of the second antenna/usvj/cable, how about just bumping the budget up another $50, and using a Rotator.
That possible ?

PS:
I also don't see where that DB4e says it does VHFhi.

Last edited:
Given the cost of the second antenna/usvj/cable, how about just bumping the budget up another $50, and using a Rotator.
A rotator (shudder)! Didn't they use those back before they invented the remote? I flip the channel an average of 8 - 10 times an hour. I went to some lengths to avoid rotating my antenna indoors! It's four feet away from me. I can reach up and swing it around on a little $6 lazy susan. Too much hassle. :becky:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
-If I do mount these two antennas on the roof can I mount them both on one mast? I am hoping for something no too obtrusive with a clean mount (any recommendations?)
Short answer is yes. But, you do want to separate the antennas a few feet. I've successfully done about 3 ft. I'd mount the UHF antenna above the VHF antenna since the VHF signals are stronger.

-For installation do I install the UVSJ in the attic or outside on the roof?
On the roof, and run a single line into the cabin.

-Is the a recommended cable that is preferred?
Black RG6 Quad shield.

-Also are these still my best options for brands & models given the updated report?
Same as above.

And, I agree with Rick, a rotor is something you get if you absolutely have to. If you can get all your signals on one line without a rotor, as you can, that is what you should do. It comes down to ease of use and lower maintenance.

Dan

Ha, well, things have improved since then, and, Rotators have remotes now.
I already knowed dat. :cheesy:

I understand your reluctance, but, it would/might give you a much greater channel selection.
Not possible in my case. I have a two antenna / two tuner setup. I'm not getting everything perfectly, only because I haven't ponied up for a better antenna facing south. But I know, from switching the two antennas around, that I can get everything this way that I can get from rotating.

I should be able to patent the two tuner / two antenna setup, don't you think? It's antenexus.

Rick