Help Wanted Please For My Next Antenna

s1mp13m4n

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello everyone. Several months a go I received a visit from Trip and based on his findings with his test equipment gave me an idea for a home made antenna. Well, that antenna did not hold up due to my eye site in making it and the weather. I would like a quality ready made antenna this time. I would like an outdoor antenna to meet my tv needs. With the internet, Netflix, and a smart tv, Direct Tv is just not needed. This antenna would be outside my bedroom window of the apartment. It would be on a pole about three feet off the ground. Here is my tvfool report. Thank you for the help.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e1c610c8bd15f1

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Welcome BACK!

In this case, your TVFOOL antenna survey is far less important than what Trip recommended. Tell us what he recommended and what you built. We will try to find a similar commercially built antenna that may fit your situation.

Jim

Last edited:

s1mp13m4n

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Welcome BACK!

In this case, your TVFOOL antenna survey is far less important than what Trip recommended. Tell us what he recommended and what you built. We will try to find a similar commercially built antenna that may fit your situation.

Jim
Alright. Trip used a home made wooden single bowtie antenna. It was made of nuts, bolts, washers, and galvanized bailing wire. The antenna wires were about 24 inches long. Now, i made a version of his antenna and also a "youtube" antenna which was a quad bowtie. My issue in building it was my eye site. Making my cut straight, making sure the elements were the proper distance apart, wire sliding out from under the washers, etc. my connection points rusted a bit. This is the antenna trip built and used to test with his equipment. I am willing to try his version of the antenna again but try and use better materials such as stainless hardware, salt treated wood, etc.

image.jpg

Last edited:
s1mp, I remember your situation very well. I said at the outset you shouldn't attempt a DIY project. Even people with two good eyes generally go through three or four antennas before they luck out and get something to work. They define that as FUN! Then you said it was going to cost you $125 to get a commercial antenna. Sorry, that's just dumb.

I think I suggested you get a UHF antenna to put in or outside your daughter's bedroom window, then think about adding a dipole later for PBS on channel 11. (You can get many, many PBS stations for free on the internet anyhow.) Adding a dipole is not a DIY project either, It's something like $12 for parts, then you just hook it up. Keeping the UHF and VHF separate would let you aim them separately.

I'll suggest something even simpler: get an RCA ANT751R antenna. It's fairly small, and pretty good looking for your landlord. There's a good chance you can get PBS on WBRA real channel 3 at the same compass heading as all your UHF stations. Here's a quote from antenna simulation expert holl_ands: "from what I see in the simplified VHF only modelling, it provides 2-3 dBi Gain on Ch2-6 with only a bit more Gain in the Forward direction as toward Reverse. However, SWR is climbing to ever more excessive levels the lower in frequency you go.....so adding first 6-ft, then 10-ft of extra cable length MIGHT help Ch2 reception ..." So with your channel 3 signal in the 40's it's a pretty good shot.

I'm assuming your bedroom window is on the north-west side of the building (like your daughter's), near the west corner so the signal won't have to travel through brick and metal to get to the antenna. There was nothing magical about Trip's homemade antenna (except he's dedicated his entire life to the industry, so he knows how to put one together). It's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Did I make that clear enough? LOCATION!!!!!!!!!

Here's a good picture (same antenna): http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez-hd-tv-antenna-image.html

Here's a good price: http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Suburban-Mini-Yagi-Digital-Outdoor-Antenna-with-Mast/10828410 Order something else for $3 to get free shipping, or have 'em ship to your local Walmart for free.

Rick

Warning: I just noticed this statement in the Walmart ad: "Outperforms traditional antennas due to patented omni-directional design" This is incorrect. Must have been written by Walmart. You don't see it in the RCA ads or on Denny's site. This antenna needs to be pointed.

Rick

Rick has made a very good suggestions. A lower cost alternative would be the Antennacraft HBU 11
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...tdoor-HDTV-Antenna-(HBU11)&c=TV Antennas&sku=
One of my first thoughts was do to the presence of a low and VHF signal the Antennacraft AC9 could be a good alternative, but keep in mind the long low VHF element is 98 inches long.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-Antenna-(AC9)&c=TV Antennas&sku=716079000765
The channel 3 signal might be strong enough to be receivable with the smaller HBU11,or ANT751R.
Steve