Help with Antenna Purchase....thank you in advance for your knowledge!

pullingin

DTVUSA Rookie
I am an newbie and am looking for your help and suggestions on a new antenna purchase.

Here is my TVFool report:
TV Fool

I am wondering you think would be a better purchase between the antennas listed below, or others you would suggest.

Channel Master 2016

Antennas Direct DB2

RCA ANT751

Thank you for your help!!!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
All three would probably work. The CM-2016 and the RCA ANT751 would give you better signal on KSBW and KCBA. Since there are about 30 degrees between the main station groups the wider beam angle of the dB2 might help you out, but you would have a lot less gain on KSBW and KCBA. The antenna will need to be pointed due east.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: pullingin,

Out of curiosity, how many and which channels can you currently receive using rabbit ears? I ask, because you didn't specify an antenna height in your TVFOOL report so the result is based on only 5 feet above ground level. Since you want to install an outdoor antenna, a report based on the installed antenna height would help us.

Channels 2, 3 and 6 are low-band VHF which may prove to be a problem, channels 7 and 8 are high-band VHF. I do not recommend the Antennas Direct DB-2 for your application, unless the VHF signal strengths climb significantly in an updated TVFOOL report.

Jim

pullingin

DTVUSA Rookie
:welcome: pullingin,

Out of curiosity, how many and which channels can you currently receive using rabbit ears? I ask, because you didn't specify an antenna height in your TVFOOL report so the result is based on only 5 feet above ground level. Since you want to install an outdoor antenna, a report based on the installed antenna height would help us.

Channels 2, 3 and 6 are low-band VHF which may prove to be a problem, channels 7 and 8 are high-band VHF. I do not recommend the Antennas Direct DB-2 for your application, unless the VHF signal strengths climb significantly in an updated TVFOOL report.

Jim
My current setup is rabbit ears with foil on them at a height of about 4 or 5 feet off the ground. I am in an adobe house with windows to the east. I get good reception on the ksbw and kcba channels. There are a few channels that i am trying to improve and i figure a better antenna should do the trick.

I was thinking of starting with the new antenna I purchase inside and if it works then i would not mount it outside.

Between the two directional antennas I listed, what one is better in your all opinions?

Are there any other antennas you would recommend?

thanks again for your knowledge!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
pullingin,

You might consider trying a Radio Shack U75r. Your local Shack may have one or they may be able to order one for you. They also have a good return policy, although if marked as discontinued, verify that. Here's a link to a discussion on the Forum about them. http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...-radio-shack-u75r-discontinued.html#post80411

Stand by and I am sure others will chime in with their antenna recommendations.

Jim

Edit: Another thought would be to look on your local Craigslist. Here's a typical example of what is available in my area, all too often. Their loss/your gain. HDTV Antenna, Rotator & Cable

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
One of the problems with TVfool is that network information is often not listed, especially for LP or translator stations. So I don't know what networks are available without going to RabbitEars.Info for cross referencing.

Note that all the low VHF channels are analog, and may not be of interest to the OP. There's also a lot of channels over 60 miles away and mostly 1- and 2- edge that would require a pretty serious investment of time and money to get.

I'd concentrate on the digital channels that are LOS. So check the "digital only" on your TV fool, and try for JUST the stations in the green, and the 1 yellow. That gives you only 1 high vhf and all your stations are pretty much to the east, at about 67 and 110 degrees. So, split the difference, and aim directly to true east.

A U75r would be great here, yes, if you can find one - there may still be one at your local Radio Shack. But you probably won't find one. I think a Channel Master 2016
has a broad enough beam to do this very nicely.

It's almost identical to the u75r but with the added VHF element and it comes with a J-pipe mount included (on Amazon, at least) so you're ready to go. My second choice would be the ChannelMaster 4220, or a home-built 2 or 4 bay antenna, with a 9 1/2" length on the bow tie elements.

Last edited: