Question: Help with Antenna

Gordy64

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi, I'm new to the DTV forum and need some help. I replaced my large bulky Winegard directional antenna with a Yagi style antenna. Here is the link to what I bought.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HDTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-HD-TV-36dB-Rotor-Remote-360-176-UHF-VHF-FM-150-Miles/34176799

Why I replaced it was because it was old with many of the elements bent and broken. My neighbor got DirectTV and gave it to me years ago. So anyway, this new antenna was shipped to me. Assembling it, I thought ... what a piece of junk! But actually it works quite well except I lose channels at various times. But, this also happened with the Winegard. I added a preamp to the Winegard, but I don't see anyway to connect a preamp to this style antenna. I do have a indoor video VHF/FM amplifier that I did have connected to my 55" Plasma. Is it safe to plug this back in to help boost the signal? I've used the rotor to move the antenna, without much luck. I might add, I live 65 miles from San Diego, in a hilly area, 1600 ft elevation, and Camp Pendleton in my back yard, so to speak.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
See if you can return that antenna. It's junk. It has an amplifier built in, but it is very noisy - and even if it works for you, it won't survive for long.

Please go to TVfool TV Fool and post your results back here so we can analyze your reception and suggest a good antenna for you.

Assembling it, I thought ... what a piece of junk!
First impression may have been correct. I'm going to try to find that exact model, but it looks like a Lava or Sewell ... one of the Chinese models that break after a few months outdoors. The rotator and built in amp are just waiting to fall off.

But actually it works quite well except I lose channels at various times. But, this also happened with the Winegard.
It seems like you're throwing antennas up at random on a hope and a prayer. Different locations require different antennas. If you want help finding a real solution, read the first post by SWHouston here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...n/18697-getting-started-over-air-tv-faqs.html Then read these two posts: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...cussion/18368-how-ask-dtv-reception-help.html

Don't go to antennaweb.org, the experts have learned TVFool is far more accurate. So use the detailed instructions from SWHouston. You're a whole lot better off with the experts on your side. Nobody makes a dime off this service.

I added a preamp to the Winegard, but I don't see anyway to connect a preamp to this style antenna.
That antenna has a pre-amp already! Don't you have it connected? You don't want two amplifiers. In fact, odds a nonamplified antenna would be better. Can't tell without a TV Fool report.

Rick

p.s. MrPogi -- we cross posted.

It's an Esky. I was right -- Chinese. Here's an eBay link:
HDTV Outdoor Antenna Amplified 36nu llRot orRemo te36 0° HD TVU HFV HF FM1 50Mil | eBay

Brand listed as Esky. Second pic below is different, but they're both probably Eskys. The 150 mile range is a joke, BTW. Unless both you and the transmitter are on mountain peaks, the curvature of the earth tends to get in the way. A similar antenna made in the US might claim 30-35 miles.

Rick

Gordy64

DTVUSA Rookie
I figured it was a cheap antenna. I got these coordinates from Google maps 33°29'44.0"N 117°16'40.7"W
33.49, -117. ... if that helps. And, here is my TVfool report. TV Fool

Last edited by a moderator:
We're cross posting again, MrPogi.

I thought of the HBU55, but it doesn't get low VHF. Our new member might want to get TheCW on RF6. So I'd go with a big Yagi too, but I'm looking at the Winegard HD8200P, or AntennaCraft HD-1850, HD-1800 or HD-1200, or Channel Master CM5016, CM5018, or CM5020. I'll check to see which of these are still available.

If you don't care about TheCW, and you're strapped for cash, you could try a Stellar labs 30-2440.
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna

MrPogi, couldn't he add a simple dipole just for channel 6 later if desired?

MrPogi is right. You definitely don't need a rotor. All your stations are in one direction. Point antenna at 157° on your compass. An amplifier is only recommended if you can't get a decent lineup without it. It's one more thing to break.

I notice you put 16 feet in for antenna height. Do you have a low roof? You are right on the edge where an attic installation is probly a bad idea.

Rick

Last edited:

MrPogi

Staff member
Rick, I saw the CW channel 6 but it's analog and also there is a VHF CW, digital - same station - on channel 23. I figured that its not worth the bother to put up a MUCH larger antenna just for an analog VHF-lo that will have to go away some day.

I thought about the Stellar labs, but I figured it would be worth the extra money to ensure stable reception of those 1-edge signals.

MrPogi

Staff member
If money is an issue, I would go for the Stellar labs. I like the UHF Stellar Labs UHF antennas I got, but have yet to test the UHF/VHF 30-2440. I think the Antennacraft C290 would be okay/equal to the Stellar Labs, but again it has VHF-lo which is not needed - unless the OP would like to get FM, too. However, I get decent FM reception on a VHF-hi antenna.

Gordy64

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to Walmart today to first buy a compass. Next, I'm going to raise the antenna another 6 feet. Let me just add, I live in a one story rental house and the owner doesn't want a big antenna on the roof. Also, I forgot to mention that I have 28 palm trees in my yard. I've got the antenna high enough to clear the trunks but not the palm fronds. Can I use the front part of the directional antenna I had originally? I looks like a lot of those larger yagi's.

MrPogi

Staff member
If a big antenna is a problem, I would go with the Stellar Labs antenna. If you used just the UHF section of your old antenna, you will miss the VHF channels - CBS 8 and ABC 10, you will have no VHF element. I suspect that moving your new antenna will have little if any any effect. It is not designed for US television frequencies, has a noisy amplifier that does more harm than good, has a rotor you don't need, and it will fall apart in a short time.

Compare the reviews for your E-sky antenna:
HDTV Rotor Remote Outdoor Amplified Antenna 360° UHF/VHF/FM HD TV 150 Miles: TV & Video : Walmart.com

with the reviews for the Stellar Labs antenna:
VHF/UHF/HDTV Fringe Yagi Outdoor Television Antenna

Can I use the front part of the directional antenna I had originally? I looks like a lot of those larger yagi's.
I think you're talking about the old Winegard. We can't possibly tell unless we know what model you have. Winegard makes lots of antennas! Also pretty hard to tell if everything is connecting internally, if it's as beaten and bent as you say.

Why not try it? If it works fairly well, then it's connecting, electrically. Is it the best antenna for the job? Can't tell without a pic or model #.

Rick