Question: HELP with ION TV, please?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Ok, I have here my tv fool:
TV Fool

and RABBITEARS.info:
RabbitEars.Info

I am trying to get ION tv from MALAD, ID. I have turned my antenna (attic mounted radio shack u-75r) in that direction - and got nothing. All the Malad stations are in the pink on my TVfool. TVfool doesn't list it by network, and shows all the Malad translators are in the 40's (even numbers) as far as real channel - there's no virtual frequency listed on TV Fool. Rabbitears identifies k27in-d (real channel) as the ONLY ION translator. But, Channel 27 would be in conflict with k27gm-d, virtual channel 10 from Preston, so...

1> What is the "correct" station for ION 16???

Trip? anyone?

2> Is it worth investing in a seperate antenna for this? Is it feasable? Its the only Malad station I need, I want QUBO for my kids. I figure I could go as high as 30 ft if I roof mount it... and either leave my present antenna as is or roof mount it also, it points about 10 degrees east of north and gets me everything else. Rotor is not an option, as I have 4 sets running off this setup.

Suggestions? clarifications? Help??? Thanks!

EDIT: K46IM is listed as the translator for Malad, ID FCC 2009

Now even more confused...

Last edited:

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
K46IM is analog.

As strong as K27GM-D is and given that K27IN-D isn't even on your plot, I'm not sure it will be doable. You might be better off asking the translator people in Preston to light up a translator for KUPX. They're transmitting everything twice for some reason; least they could do is fix some of them so they transmit useful programming.

- Trip

MrPogi

Staff member
K46IM is analog.

As strong as K27GM-D is and given that K27IN-D isn't even on your plot, I'm not sure it will be doable. You might be better off asking the translator people in Preston to light up a translator for KUPX. They're transmitting everything twice for some reason; least they could do is fix some of them so they transmit useful programming.

- Trip
I can't even get contact info for these Franklin County clowns! I got hold of cache county engioneers email and confirmed that CW30 and KBYU are awaiting funding. Great! yet ANOTHER instance of KBYU / LDS / PBS stations - I already get 7, 9, 10, 11... 14 channels including subs. I don't think Franklin county cares, refer to THIS ARTICLE I've got multiple instances of the same channels (13.1, 13.2, 13.1, 13.2...) all over the place... and one of my converter boxes won't even let me delete them.

But after looking up http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=80&q=call=K27IN-D , I can see that I would be a REAL "TV FOOL" to try this.

So, Trip, do YOU have any contact info for the Franklin County Translator District?

BTW, fyi, channel 8 KUTA is up again after a 2 week outage, and now is 16:9 for most programming... but still SD and more Telemundo than ever before.

Last edited:

Trip

Staff member
What's the KUTA lineup?

I don't know anyone involved in these Utah translators at all, but I figured maybe you'd know. You said you were able to get confirmation about a translator for KUCW, so maybe someone at that address would listen to a request for KUPX. I'd seen your article before, and thus my thought was that if they wanted to do more to "legitimize" their extremely questionable operation, adding more useful channels like KUPX would go a long way instead of yet more duplicates/triplicates/etc.

- Trip

MrPogi

Staff member
What's the KUTA lineup?

I don't know anyone involved in these Utah translators at all, but I figured maybe you'd know. You said you were able to get confirmation about a translator for KUCW, so maybe someone at that address would listen to a request for KUPX. I'd seen your article before, and thus my thought was that if they wanted to do more to "legitimize" their extremely questionable operation, adding more useful channels like KUPX would go a long way instead of yet more duplicates/triplicates/etc.

- Trip
Good point! I'll try that line of reasoning on them. I just now found contact info for Franklin.

The Engineer for Cache county says there are no plans for ION 16. I bet if the LDS church bought it out, they'd sure spark up a translator! (The engineers Email is "@LDS.org")

KUTA is a mess. Conveniently located next to 7.3, "Vme", it's Telemundo. Sometimes. Sometimes NOT. Sometimes english Mostly Spanish.
Run by schizophrenics, I think.

Trip

Staff member
Is it just 8-1 or are there subchannels?

Also, can you check what stations are being translated on channels 19 and 21? I have both listed as KJZZ but I feel like that might be wrong. Or is 21 even on the air?

I wish you the best of luck in getting them to listen. If I had that many translators, I'd have much more than what they're airing! :)

- Trip

MrPogi

Staff member
Kuta

KUTA is 8.1 only.

KJZZ is popular because they broadcast Utah Jazz games, so its possible they are both KJZZ. I'll have to check the list and see where they're from. I'm sure a lot of those frequencies are still not used, I think it was a spectrum grab in Idaho... My current setup doesn't get one set of Franklin county translators, its all repeats of the other set. I think the reason there's 2 Franklin county translators is the mountains. That, and BOY! did they apply for a lot of frequencies, and grants for each one. I have to find out if any of my converters or TVs give me ACTUAL frequencies.

EDIT: I just looked on TVfool and they are both from Cache Valley / Mt. Pisgaw, so they can't both be KJZZ. I will make some phone calls and send Emails to try to find out WHAT is going on there in Idaho!

Also, I am creating a list of available stations in Cache County to help people dump pay TV. I'll forward that to you when it's done.

Thanks for your help. It must be a lot of work to maintain that website!

Last edited:

Trip

Staff member
KUTA is 8.1 only.
Thanks.

KJZZ is popular because they broadcast Utah Jazz games, so its possible they are both KJZZ.
Do they still? I thought I remembered reading that they lost the rights to the Jazz games.

I have to find out if any of my converters or TVs give me ACTUAL frequencies.
I know the Zenith/Insignia boxes do. Not sure about any others off-hand.

EDIT: I just looked on TVfool and they are both from Cache Valley / Mt. Pisgaw, so they can't both be KJZZ. I will make some phone calls and send Emails to try to find out WHAT is going on there in Idaho!
That's why I pointed it out. :)

Also, I am creating a list of available stations in Cache County to help people dump pay TV. I'll forward that to you when it's done.
Thanks!

Thanks for your help. It must be a lot of work to maintain that website!
Glad to help, and yes, it is. :D

- Trip

MrPogi

Staff member
KJZZ is owned by the Larry Miller Group, they own the Jazz, too. Larry Miller bought the station just to broadcast the games, they will carry them until they sell KJZZ or the Jazz!

I have an Insignia box, I 'll put it to good use!

Trip

Staff member
With the Insignia box, if you go to the menu, somewhere in there it has an option that is something to the effect of "Manual Channel" or something, and it allows you to go channel-by-channel through the real channel numbers. Let it sit and it will display what it remaps to and its call sign on the screen for you. :)

Also, this was the article I saw about the Jazz: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_13604707

- Trip

MrPogi

Staff member
Thanks for the info about both items. I am not a sports fan, so I guess I missed that one. Jazz fans must now pay to see their team.