Help with Reception in Tualatin

Hi Everyone,

n00b here looking for some help in getting my antenna setup properly.

Here is my TV fool report:
TV Fool

I've currently got an RCA ANT751R sitting in the attic above my garage, so maybe 12' above ground level?
From there I have a 25' run of RG6 that goes to the in-house wiring. (disconnected the incoming cable, and plugged the RG6 into that junction)

I'm on the south side of a townhouse row that is oriented North/South, with station towers almost directly to the North.

So far, I can receive KGW and KOPB just fine, and mostly decent picture on KPTV, and I want to be able to receive KOIN 6 or KATU 2, as well..

I can't mount the antenna outside, due to HOA rules, so it must stay in the attic. This is the best area, as the garage sticks out past the living space in those other units to my North.

Would a Winegard 7964P antenna be any better for reception?

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

:welcome: ninjadogg!

Here is my TV fool report:
TV Fool
I've currently got an RCA ANT751R sitting in the attic above my garage, so maybe 12' above ground level?
I can't mount the antenna outside, due to HOA rules, so it must stay in the attic.
It's really sad when someone with such a spectacular Fool report is stifled by HOA rules. Are you aware of the restrictions Congress placed on HOAs for antennas in "exclusive use areas"? If you have any area out in the open air, where others can't go without your permission, then legally the HOA can't do anything about it provided the antenna is under one meter, and the mast no higher than 12'. One of the main selling points of the ANT751R is that it meets the guidelines.
Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | FCC.gov

This is the best area, as the garage sticks out past the living space in those other units to my North.
Well, I can tell you the three stations you say you get are all high VHF, and the two you want are UHF. It's conceivable UHF isn't working on the ANT751R (maybe someone who owns one will comment), but in your case it seems more likely there's something nasty in the attic blocking short UHF waves. Are those really the only three stations you can get? You should get MIND BLOWING reception at your location!!

If you really can't get the antenna outside, you should try different spots in the attic, or inside your home. What you think is the best location is apparently not so good. It has more to do with the type of material in line-of-sight to the transmitters (metal... cement... shingles...) than the quantity of material. There also might be some source of RF noise (air conditioner... malfunctioning appliance...) interfering with the higher frequencies.

Would a Winegard 7964P antenna be any better for reception?
Maybe, but no antenna can pick up a signal that isn't there in the first place.

Rick

My first thought was the 751 is pretty weak on the UHF side compared to other combination antennas. The 7964P could help. My second thought is VHF only reception is a very common symptom of scanning for cable channels. Make certain you have scanned for air, antenna, or what ever the manufacturer of your TV chose to call it. Should be some where in the set up menu.
Steve

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm checking with my HOA for clarification on TV antennas. Thinking about it, plenty of people have dishes, so I probably can mount it outside... Here's a view of the alley. No major obstructions over the garages, (other than the beams, plywood and roofing material). The tall trees in the alley are gone, but there are those trees in the distance...... ugh, that's probably my problem, isn't it?

alley.JPG

Steve, I have a Samsung UN46B8000XF. I scanned both for AIR and AUTO, not CABLE. I just did a rescan, and I got these channels tuned:

KGW
8-1; 8-2; 8-3;

KOPB
10-1; 10-2; 10-3;

KPTV
12-1;

KPXG (ION)
22-1; 22-2; 22-3; 22-4; 22-5; 22-6; 22-7;

KNMT (TBN)
24-1; 24-2; 24-3; 24-4; 24-5;

KPDX
49-1;

Thank you for providing further information. Yes the trees in the back ground could cause problems UHF signals have a hard time sneaking through the trees. Looking at the photo makes me wonder how many adjacent garage walls or roofs the signal is filtered through before it hits your antenna. I see 4 dishes in the photo. You really should have reception of everything in green on that TV fool report. An out door mount, and correct placement of antenna could solve your problem. All locations with in your garage attic are not likely to be equal in signal you may need to try the sometimes frustrating attic signal hunt. A TV that will do direct channel entry of real channels can save time. My Samsung will, but I've learned from my reading that some will not even in the same brand. When the cable company wired the place they had plenty of signal to work with and weren't too worried about signal loss, or taking the shortest route. Can the coax run be shortened? Are there unneeded splitters in the line that can be done away with? Replaced with simple barrel connectors. Is the house old enough to have been wired with RG59 coax which is higher loss at UHF frequencies then RG6 that is used on most newer installations. I've given you quite a bit to think about before spending more money on a different antenna. Keep us posted on your out come.

Steve

dkreichen1968

Staff member
If your neighbors have dish antennas outdoors (which they do), you better be able to have a RCA ANT751R outside!!! Otherwise sue, sue, sue them back into the stone ages!!! You have just as much Federally protected "right" to having an OTA antenna as they have to having a dish.

Last edited:
I'm checking with my HOA for clarification on TV antennas.
They might just let you wait FOREVER for "clarification." Why not put something up and wait for their response? "Gee, Mr. HOA prez, I never dreamed this would be against the rules. I read the FCC guidelines and everything! Do you need the web site address?"

Here's a view of the alley. No major obstructions over the garages, (other than the beams, plywood and roofing material). The tall trees in the alley are gone, but there are those trees in the distance...... ugh, that's probably my problem, isn't it?
The trees don't look very thick or obstructing. Beams, plywood, and roofing materials are more major.

Steve, I have a Samsung UN46B8000XF. I scanned both for AIR and AUTO, not CABLE. I just did a rescan, and I got these channels tuned:
Dang! And there's some UHF in there. I really thought Steve had his finger on the pulse of your problem. I also agree with every word in his post. I'll add that line-of-sight is much more likely to be your problem than the cable. I'm also assuming you have ONE line going to ONE receiver -- you should take any splitters out while we're doing a diagnosis. In terms of line-of-sight, while the trees may be knocking a few dB off your noise margins (the NM column in the TV Fool report), man made obstructions are potentially far more serious.

Rick

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Give the HOA the double middle figure salute, and if they challenge, sue, sue, sue!!! It should be worth all of your neighbors HOA fees for the last 5 years!!! Teach the HOA Nazis a lesson!!!

Okay, I don't like HOAs. No worse tyranny than a petty tyranny! Nothing worse than 100 tyrants in your neighborhood!