Help!

dillapp21

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I live near Detroit, MI. Ever since the DTV switch, I can no longer receive Fox 2. I received it before that without a problem. I receive every other channel, plus a few new ones. They are all crystal clear reception. I have a digital tv. I also have an indoor amplified antenna. I have adjusted the antenna too many times to remember to try to get any reception. No luck again. I am not allowed to install anything on the outside of my townhouse because of their rules. I have scanned and re-scanned the tv numerous times. No luck. Am I the only person having this problem? I have a Sony LCD tv. I also am using a brand new Magnavox amplified antenna with rabbit ears. I have received no help whatsoever with this problem. I have tried every option given, but again, with no luck. I don't understand WHY every other channel works perfectly except Fox. Please help.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

Post up a link to your TVfool results. Go to TVfool, input the info including height, and post a link to the final page with the charts and graphs and stuff.

We'll get you fixed up.

EscapeVelocity

What specific antenna do you have, brand and model? Does it have Rabbit Ear telescoping dipoles?

If so try this set up.

Set each pole at 15 inches long, using the fattest part of the telecoping sections. Place them horizontally inline with the loop or UHF element. Then aim the whole thing perpendicular to just south of due west. Also if you can get over by a window facing that direction, that may help. Also get the antenna away from the TV or other electrical gear or large metal objects.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
WADL-DT 38 (Real 39) is killing you at 1.3 miles away. Try taking the amplifier out of the mix and see what happens.

I also find it strange we have real 39, 41, 43, 44 and 45 all spaced so close together. And your CBS station, WWJ-DT at real 44 is right in the middle of this very crowded area. That has to cause trouble for everyone there.

Again, take out the amp. Then tell us what happens.

EscapeVelocity

Good call Yes. There are bound to be FMs about too, which could have deliterious affects on the other signals by overloading the amplifier.

Piggie

Super Moderator
WADL-DT 38 (Real 39) is killing you at 1.3 miles away. Try taking the amplifier out of the mix and see what happens.

I also find it strange we have real 39, 41, 43, 44 and 45 all spaced so close together. And your CBS station, WWJ-DT at real 44 is right in the middle of this very crowded area. That has to cause trouble for everyone there.

Again, take out the amp. Then tell us what happens.
FM while it could be a big problem is all but moot with a station that is -5.8 dbm running full 1MW ERP at 1.3 miles. Yes nailed it. The next station is -28.4 followed by similarly strong stations that would overload most amps alone, much less a cheap amp in an indoor antenna.

WHTD-FM is a 50KW station 1.2 miles from the center of the zip code. So that will make it that much worse.

He is a perfect candidate for cheap rabbit ears with a loop. Budget TV Antenna - RadioShack.com

dillapp21

DTVUSA Jr. Member
First of all, thank you to all of you for the tips and advice.
Secondly, the model of antenna that I am using is a Phillips VHF/UHF/FM amplified indoor antenna/6VDC-100mA.
I also have used aTriquest Indoor UHF/VHF antenna with a 12 position fine tuning dial. I don't think that there are any amps involved. I'm kind of a noob in this department, so bare with me on the info.
As far as placement, both antennas come with a relatively short (4 foot) cable length. I will try aiming the poles of the antenna to the southwest towards the stations involved. The closest window is approximately 40 feet away in the bathroom.
WADL is about 1.3 miles due East of my townhouse. Am I to understand that because of the digital switch over that I may now be unable to receive that particular station because of these other stations' proximities? That would be an interesting irony: Advance technology to reduce performance. That sounds just like my luck.
I still can't understand how all of a sudden, that WJBK is the ONLY station to have this problem among all of the other stations.
P.S. I tried adjusting the antenna poles, but again, no luck. This is very frustrating that one station can cause all of this hassle.
Again, thanks to all of you very much for all of your help. It sounds that I may just have to get used to life without channel 2.
A small, sarcastic thank you goes out to our governnment and the FCC for all of this mess. :confused:

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Now wait a cotton pickin minute. Isn't WJBK on channel 7? That is what the report says. I don't see any channel 2 on the list.

You say that window is off to the south west? Get a cable and extend the antenna to near the window and see if that works.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
"Phillips VHF/UHF/FM amplified indoor antenna/6VDC-100mA"

Dump the philips amplified antenna and try this basic VHF/UHF antenna. If it doesn't work, return it for a refund and try a different one. But amplified antennas are NOT what you need. You might even try just sticking a piece of wire in the coax port.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
You might even try just sticking a piece of wire in the coax port.
A piece of wire tends to only work if signals are 60db MN or stronger and that is pushing it. He is still needs a loop for most of his stations.

Yes, WJBK is Fox 2 on their logo and virtual but on ch7 for real. They were on 58 pre-transition and why he was receiving them fine. Now they are on VHF and not penetrating his walls.

The idea to add cable to the basic rabbit ears (no amp) and move it closer to the window is good advice.

Probably a new well-made RG-6 coax cable; most rabbit ears (esp the VHF-only sets) have a twin-lead flat type ribbon attached to a balun, or wired straight to the TV (if you remember the old B&W sets) and that flat ribbon is crap. some newer ones also have a regular cable but with push on quick disconnect ends, which are nice for those who don't like threading one on, but they're horrible at maintaining enough contact to get consistant signals. if you're looking for reliable DTV reception out of any antenna, gold plated RG-6 coaxial cable of high quality (yes, you pay more but...) is the way to go.

Yeah i myself know too well how awful it is when you get great reception on every channel except one esp if it's your favorite one. in my case it was WAZE-TV (CW) 19 Evansville, IN. which sadly still shows up in TV fool albeit incorrectly.

The analog went down completely in Dec 2008, and never got a digital transmitter up, which means it's gone for keeps. i do however get a CW affiliate on my Apex in the back bedroom, but sporadic and i have to see it there instead of in the living room where i prefer. the bedroom TV is used mainly when bad weather wakes me up.

Virtual channels i don't understand at all. it simply adds confusion esp when they can instead rebrand their logos for the DTV real channel. here Fox 7 WTVW is still showing the 'FOX7' logo even though it's on 28.1. what's the real significance of using such fakery in the channel?

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Buried deep in the end of the civil war documents, there is a clause that it's not legal to use the phrase "cotton pickin" outside of the original Confederate states..... :boink:
Hehehe, does cotton pickin from ones belly button excluded from those documents?