Question: help

dendovne

DTVUSA Jr. Member
So I am trying to get an antenna set up. I built a 4 bay antenna for the attic and get a few stations with the rca amp1450f. I get like 9 channels with some duplicates. I then switched to the rca tvpramp1r and get 5 channels. The 5 are some of the same as the other. Most of my channels are from RI, I would like the get ion and fox out of CT, not RI. So I went back to the first preamp due to more channels. I was looking at a roof top antenna. Any help would be good please. The one I was specifically looking at was the antennacraft hbu33. These are my reports from tvfool.Com TV Fool

dendovne

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I was trying to stay somewhat small. I also don't want to get the issuse of over powering and drowning out some of the closer stations. Got the rca tvpramp1r if that'd make a difference, thank you.

Your TV fool report doesn't show anything that could over power and drown out anything else. You can go as small as you want, but not if you really want better reception. Looking at your TV fool report I have to agree with the advice MrPogi gave you.

:welcome: to the forum, dendovne,

You came to the right place! MrPogi is a professional antenna installer, and his advice should never be ignored. If a larger antenna won't fit in the attic, guess what? You're probably better off on the roof anyway. 5 to 9 channels probably means you're only getting 2 to 4 stations. (We'd know a lot more if you could list the stations by their call letters.)

The other problem you have is the stations are in several different directions. You have quite a thorny situation! In trying to piece together a solution I made up this little chart:

Code:
ABC WCVB 20 at 39°  (inconvenient) *cochannel with WCCT*
CBS WPRI 13 at 70°
NBC WVIT 35 at 270°
 or
NBC WWLP 11 at 302° (inconvenient)
Fox WNAC 12 at 70°
 and
Fox WTIC 31 at 270°
ION WPXQ 17 at 160° (inconvenient)
 or
ION WMPX 26 at 219° (inconvenient)
PBS WEDN 45 at 270°
PBS WEDN  9 at 228° (inconvenient)
TheCW & ThisTV WCCT 20 at 270°     *cochannel with WCVB*
I have visions of a strong directional UHF antenna pointed at 270° plus a separate high VHF antenna pointed at 70°. Maybe one of our DIY experts can suggest a way to attach one of those VHF kits to the back of a strong UHF antenna. The HD-1080 has the right pattern, but I don't think it's near strong enough for your location.

It might be necessary to give up on the "inconvenient" stations, or work on them later, after the rest is done. You still have a convenient CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW and This TV in your lineup.

I would try to set up without an amplifier at first.

Rick

dendovne

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thank you guys. I'd be installing the antenna on my roof around 25 feet. I wasn't trying to ignore Mr Pogi. I forgot to mention it'd be on the roof. I got these stations with a 4 bay antenna I quickly threw together and put in the attic. Also, what are you talking about by listing stations by their call letters? Thank you.

Thank you guys. I'd be installing the antenna on my roof around 25 feet.
Sounds good.

Also, what are you talking about by listing stations by their call letters?
Just trying to get a fix on your current situation per the TV Fool report. When you say "5 channels" I can't tell if you are counting subchannels, in which case 5 is a pretty low number. If you count actual, separate stations -- WCVB, WPRI, etc. -- I can look at the report and see if there's much room for improvement. 9 separate stations would be quite impressive for a 4 bay in the attic on that Fool report! But sometimes people say channel when they mean station and vice versa.

Thank you.
You're Welcome! :thumb:

R.

Well as of now I'm getting three stations. Wnac, wedn, and wedh.
That helps quite a bit, thanks. With such an eclectic combination you must have signals bouncing all over the attic.

I'm not sure I would go with any of the HBU antennas. I don't think they would catch the VHF stations off the back. Maybe we can get more suggestions, or I'll try to come up with something when I get time.

Rick

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If the OP could build an antenna out of weatherproof materials, I would suggest this:
kosmic.jpg

Construction materials can vary, but the dimensions must remain the same. The thread can be found here, http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...as-superquad-4-bay-bowtie.html#.U-9-PqOzmT4re in the thread is a bill of materials and detailed instructions. It does fairly well on the VHF-hi and could be used with or without the reflector.

It's a worthwhile project, I have made several of them.

dendovne

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yea. I just put mine together with what I had to see if I could even get anything at all. I checked one site and it said I couldn't. Can't remember what one it was. The antenna is pointed about 70° towards the station wnac I believe. I couldn't get the other ones pointed at 270° due to the attic. I did manage to pick up one of them but it came in horrible. I'm not to concerned with the ones at 70°. The 270° are the ct stations I'd like. That's why I was thinking the hbu series. It's directional and if I wanted the other stations I could improve the one I have now and combine them. Thank you all.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Wanting the channels @ 270 rather than 70 degrees certainly makes it more difficult... If the channels at 270 are ALL that matters, yes, the HBU-44 or 55.

Remember, though - if you combine 2 antennas you WILL lose signal strength.

dendovne

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yea. The channels at 270 are pretty much all that matter. The hbu 55 or hbu 44. What one is recommended. Also, would I need a preamp? It'd be like 20-30 feet high from the ground on my roof.

Yea. The channels at 270 are pretty much all that matter. The hbu 55 or hbu 44. What one is recommended. Also, would I need a preamp? It'd be like 20-30 feet high from the ground on my roof.
I guess I'd go with the HBU55. Your 270° stations are close enough to NM = 0 that you want every extra dB. It's about 2 feet longer than the HBU44.

If you will be splitting to more than one TV, you will probably need an amp, but set up first without one. If you get frequent dropouts we can recommend a preamp.

It's important to get your antenna on the roof, away from obstructions, but MrPogi often mentions that low is sometimes better than high with those 2 edge signals. So 20' might be as good or better than 30'. Experiment a little.

Rick