Hey Cowboyup4Christ

john_bud

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Say, I have ordered the 91-xg antenna but it will not ship until April 16th now.:(

When it gets here with the new pre-amp (Titan 7777) I will want to hook it up. Now one of the features of the 91-xg is that it can tilt up and down (right?). To get "2 edge" stations do I typically tip it up or down? Or is it pure trial and error? I ask as the antenna stand is on the roof peak 24' up then the antenna is up 10 foot higher than the stand and with all that junk it gets real awkward real fast! That and I get the vertigo especially when the wind starts whipping! so I don't want to monkey around any more than I need to!

Thanks!

Oh, how much "tree interference" is too much? Or do I need to make like G Washington and whack them all down?

jb

as long as the trees are 30 to 40 ft away they are no problem. the antenna should tilt up to shoot over obstacles. remove the mast from the tripod mount install the antenna and then place the mast back in the tripod, this is the easy way of doing it. place the pre amp just under the antenna. you can tilt it before putting it back into the mount.

john_bud

DTVUSA Jr. Member
EwwwKay, so the 2 maple trees that are 20 ft away and go up to 50-60ft are not looking so good. Ouch. Well, maybe we will have a "local wind storm" while the wife is away....

I also will be putting the Antenna Craft HD1850 on to get the other channels. So it will be the 91-xg on top, then the Titan 7777 then the HD1850. That needs to be about 4-5' lower? It will probably end up being low enough for me to reach to spin it for best reception and still be able to bolt it down tight.

jb

Thomas G

Contributor
John,
just to offer my $.02 here, how thick are the trees next to your house? The maple trees may not be a problem if they're the only ones in the path, but if there's a vast forest of them, you may expect some deflection or multipath problems.

place the 7777 below the bottom antenna then connect the 91-xg to the UHF input and the other antenna to the VHF input then run the output to your tv put your address into tvfool.com and you can see the direction of stations and the exact compass headings so you can tweak your aiming.

john_bud

DTVUSA Jr. Member
place the 7777 below the bottom antenna then connect the 91-xg to the UHF input and the other antenna to the VHF input then run the output to your tv put your address into tvfool.com and you can see the direction of stations and the exact compass headings so you can tweak your aiming.
Ok, will do. Thanks.

HTNut - not a forest just the 2 trees. Then 30ft past them are 4 rows of blue spruce that are getting sort of tall. Tree whacking will be a last resort ;)

jb

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Ok, will do. Thanks.

not a forest just the 2 trees. Then 30ft past them are 4 rows of blue spruce that are getting sort of tall. Tree whacking will be a last resort ;)

jb
Don't cut the tree's down, not just yet! Give the antenna and preamp a try first.

Heck, I could probably get better reception (36 channels now) if I cut a big hole in the attic roof, but I'm a renter and would be looking for a new home real fast and I'd probably find that new home in a small room with four padded walls. :)

Give it a try first. You may be surprised with what you can get.

john_bud

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm waiting on the antenna and new booster. I just want to get the channels that I used to have pre-conversion. It is sad only being able to get Fox, PBS, ABC and NBC. My channel count has dropped sharply.

jb

AndyTiedye

DTVUSA Member
Pretty well most of the time. Not so good the other night when we had a bit of a windstorm.
No big surprise since the antenna was moving around quite a bit.
Reception kept cutting in and out. Cable got all wonky at the same time.
Actually switched to the analog channel of the program I was watching because of this.

Took it down as the storm piped up because I hadn't weatherized anything yet.
That was easy to do since it's just on a rope with a pulley.

Adjusting the direction involves going out onto the deck and moving the rope
I have tied to the back of the antenna. Most of the stations I care about are
in the same direction though.

One advantage of this setup is the ability to adjust the antenna height.
That seems to be quite critical and higher isn't necessarily better.
The optimum height is not the same for every channel either.
It would appear that the trees can actually be utilized as directors to some extent
if the antenna is in just the right spot. Anywhere else and they block everything.

We will probably set up a tower for the permanent installation, but the antenna in the trees
is getting us the best reception we have ever had, and helping gather information for siting
the tower. It may well be a crank-up tower, since the ability to adjust the height seems
to be important in our location.

Last edited: