Hogan's Heroes to the Big Screen?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Maybe or maybe not. It all depends on a judge.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

The Writers Guild of America is headed to arbitration to establish that the original writers of the 1960s TV show Hogan's Heroes are entitled to lucrative "separated rights" in the story of a German prisoner-of-war camp during World War II. The WGA is making the move over the strenuous objection of Bing Cosby Productions, the producer of the original series. If successful, the writers will have the ability to license a film remake of the classic show.
It's really intriguing to read about this separation of rights. It's played quite a role and is still undergoing what it is or isn't. 21 Jump Street was part of this, too.

More

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I don't know what separation of rights is, but I'd love to see a Hogan's Heroes movie. Who would you get to play Hogan? I'd go for Bradley Cooper (39). You need to get someone who can play snarky well and who's also young enough to do some sequels.

Yup, I would definitely go see a Hogan's Heroes movie if they are able to work out the various licensing issues, etc. Who would be your number two choice for Hogan if Bradley Cooper isn't available to perform the role??? I guess the other option for the cast lead is to shoot back-back movies similar to how the Lord of the Rings was done....

Orrymain

back to back is the smart, cheaper way of doing it -- it get everyone still looking somewhat the same and usually it's less expensive (the more successful, the higher the salaries for sequels will be). I'm not into today's generation of actors so don't know who would be good. Who's the Newkirk out there?

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I don't think you can do the back-to-back thing with ongoing serials like "Hogan's Heroes." The studio would want to know they had a successful franchise before sinking more money into it. It's not like LOTR where there's one story to tell using one set of actors and it needs to be finished regardless. It's more like "Sherlock Holmes," where you can have as many films as the audience will support.

I don't know. I love Hogan's Heroes and I would be very interested in seeing it on the big screen. However, given what the plot is about and how PC our society has become, could it work these days? I'm not so sure.

Orrymain

Nope - it would be hard to do anything like HH today. People are just way too sensitive now. Ever watch old game shows like What's My Line? Oh I do love those shows but oh my goodness - in today's world, those panelists would be eaten up by the press. It was just the times, the way things were ... and so today, it couldn't be done.