Home Depot Joins OTA TV Antenna Revolution

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Winegard Company, a leader and pioneer in the design and manufacture of Antenna reception products, announced today that its FlatWave™ indoor TV antenna and FreeVision® outdoor HDTV antenna will be available in Home Depot® stores nationwide starting the week of March 18.

This makes Home Depot the first retail location in America where the FreeVision antenna is available.

"Rapid changes in antenna technology now give consumers access to the highest rated digital programs without monthly programming fees," said Winegard National Sales Manager Grant Whipple . "Home Depot is a perfect retail store for the FlatWave and FreeVision, because most customers are do-it-yourselfers and these digital antennas are easy to install – buyers can have the highest quality free HDTV and channels not available from pay TV providers in minutes."

"The FlatWave is an indoor antenna that can be placed anywhere for the best reception and provide near Blu-ray™ quality picture," said Whipple. "The FreeVision is an ultra-compact outdoor antenna that can be installed outdoors or in an attic, so homeowners don't have to struggle putting it on a roof."
Read More: Home Depot® Now Selling Winegard Digital TV Antennas to Meet Growing Demand... -- BURLINGTON, Iowa, March 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

It's about time that they caught on to the fact that more people are looking for alternatives to the high cost and low quality of pay television service. It's also good to see them partnering with a "Made in the USA" company.

n2rj

Staff member
Home Depot and Lowes have always sold TV antennas though. Problem is they sell crappy TV antennas. Even out here in deep fringe land they sell crappy RCA antennas that can't pick up anything. And they sell useless indoor antennas too... indoor antennas are fine for a city but not here. You need a death ray to get reception here.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Home Depot and Lowes have always sold TV antennas though. Problem is they sell crappy TV antennas. Even out here in deep fringe land they sell crappy RCA antennas that can't pick up anything. And they sell useless indoor antennas too... indoor antennas are fine for a city but not here. You need a death ray to get reception here.
Actually, here on the front range of Colorado I've never seen an antenna at a Home Depot and I've certainly looked. I don't think Lowes even tries to carry anything either. Cables and cable tools, yes. Antennas, no!!! In fact, the local Home Depots don't even carry baluns.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yes, I've seen antennas at both Home Depot and Lowe's. But just as n2rj said, they're either the RCA or GE brand and very poorly suited for our area. The choices are a mid-sized VHF-UHF combo and a big-ass VHF-UHF combo, a "flat panel" amplified outdoor antenna, and rabbit ears. We have ONE VHF-hi LP channel here that nobody really cares about (They've been silent for 2 weeks now and I think I am the only one who has noticed!). Our local Radio Shack is in a mall and NEVER has an outdoor antenna in stock. The Flatwave and FreeVision aren't great choices, either: most of our channels are LP translators, a 4 bay or mid-size Yagi is best for most people here.

So I will continue to send people online to buy antennas.