Hooked on online viewing

I'm not even sure why I need to bother with cable or basic tv anymore. I can get just about everything I need watching stuff online. It's been great.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
For me, Hulu still lacks a lot of my favorite shows. I still think internet tv is way off from replacing cable and satellite tv for a while. Some of the more questionable online streaming tv sites that actually do have shows I like to watch are unpredictable at best, ie streaming stops or just poor quality.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
... I still think internet tv is way off from replacing cable and satellite tv for a while.
I don't think it will ever replace conventional ways of watching TV.

And people tend to forget that there are millions of people in the US who still cannot get reliable high speed internet where they live. The best we can do here is verizon 3g, which basically sucks. Trying to watch online tv is either impossible, or a long drawn out affair, full of interruptions or incomplete downloads. And there's a 5 gig monthly DL limit. The only other options are d-i-a-l-u-p (not really an option), or satellite internet, which has severe usage caps, too. Go over the usage cap and they throttle you down to a blazing speed of 128k.

We still watch TV OTA, either live or DVR'd.

Hmmm...you guys bring up a good point about some people not have quality internet connectivity. I kind of take it for granted since it's so readily available where I live.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member

And people tend to forget that there are millions of people in the US who still cannot get reliable high speed internet where they live. The best we can do here is verizon 3g, which basically sucks. Trying to watch online tv is either impossible, or a long drawn out affair, full of interruptions or incomplete downloads. And there's a 5 gig monthly DL limit. The only other options are d-i-a-l-u-p (not really an option), or satellite internet, which has severe usage caps, too. Go over the usage cap and they throttle you down to a blazing speed of 128k.

That would be reason enough to rate down streaming TV, but where I'm at and with a high speed connection.....some of the HD shows on Hulu are almost indistinguishable from regular TV and I rarely have the picture stop or cut out.

Eureka, are you on DirecTV or cable? If it's cable, it seems hard to believe they don't have high speed where you're located. I thought like 98% of the population has access to high speed internet now.

takatenamano

DTVUSA Jr. Member

Hear hear! I guess internet really can't beat TV since its not really their specialty.

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
I hate watching the shows on the computer. It may just be my computer, but they are jumpy and there is a commercial every so often that I can't fast forward threw like I do when I tape my favorite shows.
The only time I will watch something online is if football went over and made me miss the end of my show I dvr'd.

I hate watching the shows on the computer. It may just be my computer, but they are jumpy and there is a commercial every so often that I can't fast forward threw like I do when I tape my favorite shows.
The only time I will watch something online is if football went over and made me miss the end of my show I dvr'd.
Yeah, that can be a problem when you are watching something on the Internet. Just out of curiosity, what kind of Internet connection do you have, DSL, cable or (heaven forbid) dial-up. Is your computer hooked up through a network cable or are you using wifi? Stuff like that will affect the quality of your connection.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Watching shows on a computer may be okay in a pinch, but it sucks crap otherwise. I'd rather watch programming on a *real* television, sitting in an armchair, lounging on a sofa, or lying on the floor. Watching television shows online is a highly inferior experience, and for other reasons besides quality.

dresser

DTVUSA Jr. Member
That's what I've been doing. It's more convenient and cost-effective. Sites providing livestreaming movies and even television shows are real gifts from heaven. And most of them are in HD too.