hooking laptop to tv to view internet tv on the tv

here is what i got:

1. Acer Aspire One with standard VGA out + Wi-Fi

2. Broadband Internet

3. Curtis Mathes 25" Console TV Set with dual coax input

4. VCR with A/V in

The problem:

No way to hook VGA to TV. is there some gadget which converts VGA ports to a/v out so i can hook it to my VCR so i can literally watch iTV? i havent yet found a computer monitor which is 25" plus i also still want OTA TV

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Problem is you need a VGA to Coax connector. Which doesn't exist (I'm sure there's a technical reason for it, but I don't know at this point). If you do manage to find a way to convert VGA to RCA and then connect it to a RF modulator of some sort, the signal quality will have dropped throughout the whole process by the time it reaches your TV.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Looking at the block diagram since you can't read the writing on the jacks on the back (or I can't) it only outputs VGA to a monitor. Am I seeing that right?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
yeah i have dual coax on the tv but my vcr has two RCA inputs too. VGA to RCA would work.
If you decide to go this route, I expect to see a follow up here at the forum. ;) :becky: From what I've read on other forums, everyone seems to decry and dismiss the VGA to RCA to Coax solution because it causes too much signal loss.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
here is what i got:

1. Acer Aspire One with standard VGA out + Wi-Fi

2. Broadband Internet

3. Curtis Mathes 25" Console TV Set with dual coax input

4. VCR with A/V in

The problem:

No way to hook VGA to TV. is there some gadget which converts VGA ports to a/v out so i can hook it to my VCR so i can literally watch iTV? i havent yet found a computer monitor which is 25" plus i also still want OTA TV
Oh, DTVuser2009. If you had searched the DTVUSA Forum you would have found this thread. http://www.dtvusaforum.com/converter-boxes-atsc-tuners/4330-converter-my-lcd-monitor.html

No really, I'm just kidding around with you. It isn't really feasible unless you're attempting to overcome limited space. You would first need to convert it to composite and then connect it through a modulator for it to work. It would cost more than finding a good used TV with the proper connections.

I don't know of any good used TVs with VGA-in ports. S-Video, A/V input, output to A/V (RCA Plugs) but not any i know of with VGA-in.

The VCR would act as an RF Modulator. the point is keeping my TV a TV while enabling features found in Media Center PCs. or even using my Laptop as a playback of recorded Flash and DivX video. i have so much recorded stuff and even commercials in a playlist emulating the 1982 era of Nickelodeon and a canned version of some Boomerang shows. the ability to watch them on my TV is too good to pass up. that and still enabling OTA access.

Putting a 19" Computer CRT display kinda takes the fun out of 'TV' even if it is internet enabled. that and they don't make Console computer CRTs. I understand quality loss but i'm not looking for HD here. and i'm not too picky. heck i cannot tell a 1080P from a good digital picture on a SDTV. my eyes aren't good enough for that.

The idea was to use my internet-enabled laptop as another video device kinda like a VCR but with internet access. download video and play it back or stream it live. would open up more than i get from just OTA only. plus i don't have to suffer the life of viewing my favorites (not available on OTA) on an 8" screen.

The original question was is there a VGA-RCA A/V adapter? i was asking before i go over 30 miles to town to find out nothing such exists. there's got to be a reason brand new laptops are still shipped with VGA out ports when most external computer monitors have gone further than that. as in presentations, etc where people use VGA as a video out source to a projector or other type of display not a computer monitor.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I don't know of any good used TVs with VGA-in ports. S-Video, A/V input, output to A/V (RCA Plugs) but not any i know of with VGA-in.

The VCR would act as an RF Modulator. the point is keeping my TV a TV while enabling features found in Media Center PCs. or even using my Laptop as a playback of recorded Flash and DivX video. i have so much recorded stuff and even commercials in a playlist emulating the 1982 era of Nickelodeon and a canned version of some Boomerang shows. the ability to watch them on my TV is too good to pass up. that and still enabling OTA access.

Putting a 19" Computer CRT display kinda takes the fun out of 'TV' even if it is internet enabled. that and they don't make Console computer CRTs. I understand quality loss but i'm not looking for HD here. and i'm not too picky. heck i cannot tell a 1080P from a good digital picture on a SDTV. my eyes aren't good enough for that.

The idea was to use my internet-enabled laptop as another video device kinda like a VCR but with internet access. download video and play it back or stream it live. would open up more than i get from just OTA only. plus i don't have to suffer the life of viewing my favorites (not available on OTA) on an 8" screen.

The original question was is there a VGA-RCA A/V adapter? i was asking before i go over 30 miles to town to find out nothing such exists. there's got to be a reason brand new laptops are still shipped with VGA out ports when most external computer monitors have gone further than that. as in presentations, etc where people use VGA as a video out source to a projector or other type of display not a computer monitor.
Sorry, I wasn't implying to find a used TV with VGA inputs. What I was trying to say, is a second hand TV with composite inputs. Then you would purchase a VGA to composite converter and connect it using composite cables.

That's the issue. my VCR has composite inputs and that can feed to the TV through the VCR. that's not the problem. the problem was i don't know where to find a VGA->composite converter. i tried Best Buy but nope. they had VGA-->HDMI or DVI but not composite. they thought i was nuts.

So i was asking here to find out if such a gadget exists. if anything i can get it online (if it exists).

I guess a better question would be 'is there a HDMI/DVI -->composite converter?' that way i can get the converter from VGA-->HDMI/DVI and then hook that output to the DHMI/DVI-->composite then the composite --> VCR and use that with the TV. that would mean buying two things but i care more about the end result than how many gadgets it takes.

And sure, i can 'buy an HDTV' but i don't like HDTVs. i like my consoles. there ARE consoles out at the store with S-Video and my other laptop with the same recorded stuff (i transferred it to the netbook as the netbook was an upgrade) has S-Video but the option to use it is greyed out in the display properties. (the s-video equipped laptop is a Compaq Presario 700 w/XP SP3)

OH and i understand that VGA won't give me audio output. i already have that one covered with the built-in surround stereo in my home and a patch cable. both the computers' sound output and the input on the built-in stereo are standard headphone style plugs, and patch cables are at radioshack

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
That's the issue. my VCR has composite inputs and that can feed to the TV through the VCR. that's not the problem. the problem was i don't know where to find a VGA->composite converter. i tried Best Buy but nope. they had VGA-->HDMI or DVI but not composite. they thought i was nuts.

So i was asking here to find out if such a gadget exists. if anything i can get it online (if it exists).

I guess a better question would be 'is there a HDMI/DVI -->composite converter?' that way i can get the converter from VGA-->HDMI/DVI and then hook that output to the DHMI/DVI-->composite then the composite --> VCR and use that with the TV. that would mean buying two things but i care more about the end result than how many gadgets it takes.

And sure, i can 'buy an HDTV' but i don't like HDTVs. i like my consoles. there ARE consoles out at the store with S-Video and my other laptop with the same recorded stuff (i transferred it to the netbook as the netbook was an upgrade) has S-Video but the option to use it is greyed out in the display properties. (the s-video equipped laptop is a Compaq Presario 700 w/XP SP3)

OH and i understand that VGA won't give me audio output. i already have that one covered with the built-in surround stereo in my home and a patch cable. both the computers' sound output and the input on the built-in stereo are standard headphone style plugs, and patch cables are at radioshack
All you had to do is ask! Your question then should be.
Is a VGA to Composite available and if so, where can I purchase a VGA to Composite converter? Here is one of many available in the following link.

ANTOnline.com - StarTech.com VGA2VID High Resolution VGA To Composite Or S-video Converter