Horizontal and Vertical Lines on a Wide Screen TV

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I've got a good one for you guys and girls. :)

My mom has a widescreen 16:9 Sony LCD TV about 2 years old. She only receives OTA digital channels through her Sony (with a built in tuner). She calls me up last night and asks me why on earth she has horizontal bars AND vertical bars. The horizontal I could explain real easily because of the different aspect ratios, etc, used when a TV show or movie is being filmed.

My question is, why do some digital broadcasts still have the vertical bars on the TV screen? I thought that all dtv broadcasts were going to be in 16:9 widescreen format.

I've got a good one for you guys and girls. :)

My mom has a widescreen 16:9 Sony LCD TV about 2 years old. She only receives OTA digital channels through her Sony (with a built in tuner). She calls me up last night and asks me why on earth she has horizontal bars AND vertical bars. The horizontal I could explain real easily because of the different aspect ratios, etc, used when a TV show or movie is being filmed.

My question is, why do some digital broadcasts still have the vertical bars on the TV screen? I thought that all dtv broadcasts were going to be in 16:9 widescreen format.
No not all Standard Def is still 640 x 480 the tv should have a setting to zoom or full screen this will stretch the picture to fit a wide screen format. you will have black bars on four sides with SD programs.:)

Thanks! If I have her stretch the image, won't that make whatever show she's watching appear bloated?
yes it will use the full screen or zoom setting it will help some but SD will always have the bars on top and bottom as well as the sides. most primetime shows are now HD except for a few independent networks and local programing.:).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DirecTV 0