How can I get HD with DirecTV

U

Unregistered

Just bought a new flatscreen LCD HDTV, which basically I'm upgrading from an 5 year old TV that couldn't get High Definition, so my question is, I connected the TV to my DirecTV set top box but it doesn't look like HDTV. How can I get HDTV on it??

Are you using an HDMI cable for audio and video? If so, you should in theory be able to get HD channels (only if DirecTV is broadcasting them in HD). If you're using component cables, that'll also bring in HD.

n2rj

Staff member
You need a few things for HD:

HD satellite receiver (H20, HR20 or similar)
5 LNB dish and associated multiswitch (SWM) if you have multiple sets
HDMI or component cables
HD capable TV set
HD service and access fee on your account (may be waived depending on the promotions)

It seems as though you have the TV set but may not have the other requirements.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If you have DirecTV then you need to pay extra for HD programming, it should be broken out on your bill or call and ask them. You'll need an HD - capable satellite receiver from DirecTV.

Or you could put up an antenna and get your local channels in HD for free.

n2rj

Staff member
If you have DirecTV then you need to pay extra for HD programming, it should be broken out on your bill or call and ask them. You'll need an HD - capable satellite receiver from DirecTV.
They definitely charge a "HD access charge" but it is waived for new subscribers, supposedly for life.

n2rj

Staff member
A good rule of thumb is that if you did not have a HD TV set when DirecTV installed your service you will likely not have HD and will have to call them to get HD setup on your account. It will likely require them to install new equipment too. As far as I know DirecTV does not allow self-installation anymore.

Trickster, they started charging for HD quite a long time now. It started when they started moving the HD channels to the new sats and MPEG-4.