How can I tell the difference between 1080i or 720p?

Grant

DTVUSA Rookie
Bought my first HDTV. Sony DL-46XBR4 46" LCD with resolution up to 1080p. Is there a way to find the resolution of what's currently being show on TV? I have cable with HD. I've tried checking the manual and it doesn't explain how to check for the different resolutions.

I couldn't tell in the store. i went to Best Buy and they tried to tell me how crappy my 25" Curtis Mathes was compared to an HD and had a LCD SDTV and HDTV side-by-side, both viewing a DVD movie. i couldn't perceive the difference at all. they thought i must be blind. nope, not blind, just not stupid to pay over $200 more on a TV i don't even need.

I could however tell when the HD-set was in SD. horrific picture. at least my old 1986 Curtis is ok no matter what the broadcast lol!

I'm the same way with Blu-Ray vs. DVD. looks exactly the same to me. don't feel alone.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Bought my first HDTV. Sony DL-46XBR4 46" LCD with resolution up to 1080p. Is there a way to find the resolution of what's currently being show on TV? I have cable with HD. I've tried checking the manual and it doesn't explain how to check for the different resolutions.
Grant, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Press the info button on the remote, while watching a program, to display the current resolution. It should display the resolution as well as the aspect ratio (16.9 or 4.3) of the current program.