How can I tell what kind of TV I have?

Momof4

DTVUSA Rookie
I need to know what to look for on my TV that would give me any indication if it needs a converter box? It's the only one in our house that's not on cable and I have a feeling it needs a converter because it's 4-5 years old, but I've read somewhere that there were some TVs made back then that do not need to be converted.

Thank you in advance.

We need more info about the TV in question. what date was it manufactured? does it have any logos displayed on the front such as 'ATSC Tuner, DTV Tuner, DTV-Ready, HD-Built-IN, HDTV, SDTV, etc?'

Piggie

Super Moderator
I need to know what to look for on my TV that would give me any indication if it needs a converter box? It's the only one in our house that's not on cable and I have a feeling it needs a converter because it's 4-5 years old, but I've read somewhere that there were some TVs made back then that do not need to be converted.

Thank you in advance.
TV sold after Jan 1, 2007 25 inches or larger were required to have a digital tuner built in or be told plainly it did not. After March 1, 2007 all TVs had to be digital ready or be plainly told they were not.

Prior to those dates the sales people could sell you anything.

Yes there is a chance your TV is digital ready, but small. One way is to hook up an antenna and set the menu to TV not Cable, then do a channel scan. If there is any antenna there at all, it's likely to pick up at least one digital channel.

Also old channels were plain numbers, like 2 , 4 , 28 etc. The new digital channels are 2.1, 4.2, 28.1, 28.2 etc.

On the back of the TV there should be a label that tells you the make and model as well.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Do you have your owners manual? It should tell you as well whether or not you have the digital tuner. Check your manual. If you don't have it, you could try contacting the manufacturer (do a web search).