How Can We Wind proof our Antenna??

bbknox

DTVUSA Jr. Member
We followed Coyboy4Christ's suggestion and bought Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna and mounted it 4 ft (not tilted) over our current antenna. and added a Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp.

When we have a slight breeze we have reception problems. At other times the wind blowing really hard will have no effect.

What can we do to fix this besides paying for cable?

thanks
Rita

I want my analog TV.

is the antenna correctly aimed towards the transmitters? Probably best to get an electric rotor that will keep the antenna in place. Then you use the remote control to rotate it.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
What material did you use to extend onto your current antenna (so you could mount your 91XG) and how did you attach the 91XG to it?

If you're getting a lot of sway, you may need to use a thicker rod to bolt the 91XG to, but depends on how it's mounted now.

bbknox

DTVUSA Jr. Member
We used a mast pole at first but had to replace it with the type of pole you use on top of a chain link fence. It is attached with the hardware that came with it.

The antenna is pointed in the direction of most of the stations we want.

A slight breeze will cause the picture to pixelate so a rotor will not fix the problem.

Rita
I want my analog TV back!:mad:

Ok the 91-xg is a direction antenna so if it is not point correctly it can be a problem what is your signal strength and how far are you from the stations. also what is your height of the antenna raising and lowering it a foot or two can make a difference with UHF to find the sweet spot. that has been the trick is getting it all aimed just right and at the proper height. also something moving in front of the antenna can cause the breakup make sure all limbs and trees are about 40 ft away from the antenna. this will be the biggest problem in the spring and summer with leaves from deciduous trees. Pines don't seem to brother signals as much.

Last edited:

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Ok the 91-xg is a direction antenna so if it is not point correctly it can be a problem what is your signal strength and how far are you from the stations. also what is your height of the antenna raising and lowering it a foot or two can make a difference with UHF to find the sweet spot. that has been the trick is getting it all aimed just right and at the proper height. also something moving in front of the antenna can cause the breakup make sure all limbs and trees are about 40 ft away from the antenna. this will be the biggest problem in the spring and summer with leaves from deciduous trees. Pines don't seem to brother signals as much.
Definitely sounds like they're going to need to stabilize that antenna somehow. Maybe a second mount?

bbknox

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I think the biggest problem is with the leaves. Most of the channels have good signal strength until it gets breezy when just enough wind to move the leaves will cause the picture to pixelate. We are pretty much surrounded by oak trees. The only open area that we could move the antenna to is where the powerline comes in. Not a good place to be working with an antenna.

I hate to think we are going to have to resort to paying for cable to be able to watch the programs we could get for free with analog TV.

Rita
I want my analog TV:yell:

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I think the biggest problem is with the leaves. Most of the channels have good signal strength until it gets breezy when just enough wind to move the leaves will cause the picture to pixelate. We are pretty much surrounded by oak trees. The only open area that we could move the antenna to is where the powerline comes in. Not a good place to be working with an antenna.

I hate to think we are going to have to resort to paying for cable to be able to watch the programs we could get for free with analog TV.

Rita
I want my analog TV:yell:

How often do you notice pixelation? I wouldn't give up yet, you probably just need to tweak the antenna setup a bit. How many miles away are the broadcast towers?