Question: How do I connect my Old Panasonic TV & DirectV DVR & Sony DV Player

F14Tomcat

DTVUSA Rookie
We currently have an old Pansonic tv (Model CT-27G6E connected to a DirecTV DVR.

We just purchased a Sony DV Player (Model DVP-SR200P) that we also want to use to view DVD's.

How do I connect all of these up correctly so that we can have the option to view the Satellite Or view DVD's?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Here's a link to your manual.

Panasonic CT27G6E | CT27G6E User Guide

I don't know how many inputs you have, because the illustrations say "some models" but it appears you have 2 sets of rear RCA inputs, plus one set on the front.

I don't know how your DVR is connected, but I assume it's either through one of the back RCA connections or the the Coax ("Antenna in"). If it was set up properly, it should be connected to one of the sets of the 3 RCA jacks on the back.

Looking at your DVD player manual, http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-125897.pdf , TURN TO PAGE 8. You can connect to one of the sets of inputs on the back, using the RCA cables provided with your DVD player.

Plug one end of the yellow rca cable into the yellow "Video out" of your DVD, and the other end into the yellow "video in" of your TV.
Plug the red cable into the right, or red, audio out from the DVD, and the other end into the red, or right, audio in on your TV.
Plug the white cable into the left, or white, audio out from the DVD, and the other end into the white, or left, audio in on your TV.

You can now use your remote to switch between your DVR and DVD player by choosing with the "TV/Video" button on your remote.

Please post again if you need further help.

F14Tomcat

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for your quick response.

Here's what my setup currently looks liek

I have (1) S-Video cable running from my Directv DVR to the back of my TV.
I have (3) cable inputs on the tv (Red, Yellow & White)
I have (1) co-ax (unused) 0on the back of the TV.

That's all I have on the tv.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
That will work, although your picture quality on the DVR will be less than optimal.

And, Save your pennies to buy a new TV with more inputs and HD when that one goes in a few years!

SWHouston

Staff member
F14,

The highest resolution picture that your TV can produce, will be through it's S-Video input.
Not all components have the S-Video output, but you need to select the one that does, or decide which of the ones that do, is the one you want to use for that input.

Just about all components have the A/V outputs (yellow/white/red) so it's your decision about that input.
Your second choice should go there. Or, if there are no S-Video outputs on your components, these inputs on your TV will be your choices.

The lowest resolution input is the Coaxial Connector.
From what you say, you probably won't need to use it.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
By the way F14,

Are you saying that you're not using the Coaxial Connector on your TV, for receiving FREE TV !?!

If not, you should consider getting an Antenna, and enjoying your local channels, specially when the Satellite feed goes out. And it usually does at some point. Though your Local Channels don't offer the extent of programing that Sat does (at this time), it's a VERY good backup source.

Last edited: