How do I get free TV

n2rj

Staff member
Hi Grace, and welcome!

If you mean free TV available over the air, you would need at minimum an antenna. If you have an older TV that doesn't have a "DTV" or "HDTV" logo on it you will need to get a converter box. Otherwise if you have a newer TV which has a built in digital tuner you can simply attach the antenna and begin enjoying FREE over the air TV.

Tell us more about what you want to watch and what kind of TV you have. Also, run a report over at TV Fool and paste the resulting web URL here with the results. It's anonymized so your address data doesn't show up in public.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The only truely free TV is over the air broadcast TV. What you need to have to get free OTA broadcast TV is an antenna, digital TV, or digital TV converter box. If you have a TV that was built after 2007 it allready has a digital tuner in it, but if your TV doesn't have a digital tuner in it you need a converter box. Walmart.com has one for $34 with free site to store shipping. AccessHD Digital to Analog Converter Box, 1080D - Walmart.com

But, the first step is to determine how strong the over the air TV signals are in your area. Please go to TV Fool and post the URL (web address) of your report here so we can help you determine if free OTA TV is available, and what type of antenna you will need to receive it.

Thanks
Dan

gary350

DTVUSA Member
You need a good antenna. I am getting 44 free TV stations 8 of them are movies. I get the weather channel, NPT and more. Use TVFool to determine how far you are from the stations, their frequency, and then you can determine what type antenna you need. Use online TV guide to find the programs you want to watch. Use your VCR to record things that are on in the middle of the night or when your gone to work or school then you can watch them later. I buy used VCRs and video tapes at yard sales in the summer. I also buy DVDs at yard sales too. I never pay more than $2 for a DVD. The public library is the best place to get movies you can check them out for a week just like checking out books they are free. I donate all my tapes and DVDs to the public library so others can watch them too. I like foreign movies much better than American movies I get tired of all the cop shows and blood and guts stuff in American movies. I do not like any movie in a foreign language with captions if I spend all my time reading the captions I don't get to see the movie.

SWHouston

Staff member
Greetings Grace, welcome to the Forum :welcome:

Antennas run from just a few dollars, and UP !

What type antenna you will need to receive Free TV, depends on that TVFool report the guys have ask for.
Understand though, in some locations there aren't many channels to watch, BUT, the report will tell all about that, and surely we'll be able to recommend an Antenna for you.

Also, it wouldn't hurt if you were to furnish us, with the Make and Model Number of your TV.
The model number can usually be found on a tag on the back of the set.
You probably have a newer type TV which doesn't need a Converter, but, just in case, we can check that for you to.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Free DTV ota

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Dear Grace,
Just wanted to share my free dtv experience with you, as I've been enjoying it from the very beginning, February 2008. And also, while that advice about going to TVFool.com is helpful, it can also be misleading and inaccurate, so be very careful and only use it as a tentative guide. For instance, it was way off for my area. Not only were the channel #s wrong but the #s of channels received were inaccurate as well.

Also, important to note before buying your equipment is that not all antennas are created equally. There are wide and varying products out there. It matters not where you live also as to what type to buy and free tv is definitely EVERYWHERE in the air (or ota, over-the-air). Prime example is where I live, very rural and everyone pays for tv because the analog signal is very bad and us poor people have been struggling with snow-quality reception. After the switch and with the installation of the very best "amplified" antenna (available only online), I now receive over 12 channels in crystal clear hd reception. I also added a rotor to the antenna so that I could turn it in different directions to pick up even more channels in different markets. The antenna I use is the absolute best on the market to get the most channels possible.
I know you're concerned about money, as am I, but keep in mind that this is a one time expense. And when you move, you can take it with you. If you don't live in a rural area where the closest tv station/tower is 45 + miles away, get an amplified indoor antenna to save yourself the roof installation trouble. But the most important thing to remember is that buying the right antenna (Wineguard Square Shooter) is crucial to maximizing the number of channels you can pick-up, whether it's indoors or not.
Also, it sounds like you have a digital tv set already so that will save you from having to purchase a converter box.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
But the most important thing to remember is that buying the right antenna (Wineguard Square Shooter) is crucial to maximizing the number of channels you can pick-up, whether it's indoors or not.
If you live in an area where there are VHF stations (Radio Frequency Channels 2-13), or where you're far from the broadcast towers, the Winegard Square Shooter may not be the best antenna for you. Antenna selection is best made on a case by case basis based on radio frequency and location of the local transmitters.

TVfool isn't perfect, but it is the best tool out there at this time.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Grace,

dkreichen1968 is spot-on in his response regarding the post suzanrush made. Her recommendation of a specifically named antenna without seeing and analyzing your TVFOOL report is a wild shot from the hip into the sky.

If you have a nearby transmitter, her recommended amplified receiving antenna could be overwhealmed by its signal power level and in my case, living less than one mile from four 1,000,000 watt transmitters, her 'best ever antenna' recommendation is complete nonsense. There is no such thing as "the one" best antenna.

She also said she receives over 12 HD channels, but how many SD channels does she receive and how many analog translators? Why so few stations?

Regarding the cost of antennas, it depends on what you 'need' for an antenna. That's why your TV Fool report is important for us to see, so we can make educated suggestions to you.

Please be sure to include the maximum antenna height possible where you live or the report will be based on five feet off of ground level. The website will automatically conceal your personal details (address) for your security. Please post the resulting URL here and we can all go to work!

The same offer applies to suzanrush ... you receive only 12 channels? I currently have over 30 FREE channels and next summer when I finalize my system I'll have close to 40. Let's see your TVFOOL report and the team will work on getting more channels for YOU. :becky:

Jim

Last edited:

Suzanne

DTVUSA Rookie
I bought a cheap rabbit ears indoor antenna a couple of weeks ago (the big antenna is broken and we aren't replacing it), and the picture is just fine for us.

SWHouston

Staff member
ZZ,

That is the case in so many instances we see here.
Many people think that "bigger is better", and I suppose that apples sometimes.

It may be that some won't be able to replace an Antenna quite as simply and inexpensively as you, but it makes it very helpful to seek assistance like is found here on this Site. When you get right down to it, it take some expertise or a fair amount of research, to come up with the right setup in most instances.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

n2rj

Staff member
But the most important thing to remember is that buying the right antenna (Wineguard Square Shooter) is crucial to maximizing the number of channels you can pick-up, whether it's indoors or not.
The square shooter would get exactly zip here. OK maybe it would get one or two channels (W36AZ and WNJJ-LD).

Out here I need this, which picks up most of the NYC stations which are 48 miles away:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
On the other hand I've picked up all the full power Denver stations from Lookout Mountain at 49 miles, and a high VHF station in Nebraska at 45 miles with this little home built. Combo Antenna.jpg

It all depends on where you are, and what stations you're trying to pick up.

n2rj

Staff member
On the other hand I've picked up all the full power Denver stations from Lookout Mountain at 49 miles, and a high VHF station in Nebraska at 45 miles with this little home built. View attachment 1212

It all depends on where you are, and what stations you're trying to pick up.
Yep! It all depends. My stations are 1edge and 2edge and the empire state building dwarfs in comparison to lookout mountain.

RafaNoor91

DTVUSA Jr. Member
See, I give you a link which lists down 45 awesome websites to watch tv online. But the thing is the same website has posts on how to watch a particular TV show's episodes online for free
Free Pakistani & Indian TV Channels - Watch Online at Freetv.pk

Last edited by a moderator:
See, I give you a link which lists down 45 awesome websites to watch tv online.
Promises, promises. I click a link. It says wait for 1 minute. I wait for FIVE minutes. Nothin. They couldn't tell me the stream was off line to begin with? And what's with all this Media Player junk? Come on! Give us the good stuff!! USA! USA!

R.